Power source

bend94

Joined Feb 15, 2016
Hi
need help !
my project is to use that Low Loss PWRpath module to load a battery and run a load
https://czh-labs.com/products/chunz...h-module-anderson-powerpole-powerpath-pwrgate

It is mention in the specs that the PWRpath module need at least 13,8 Volts to load efficiently a battery.

I plan to use an computer ATX to be connected to the PWRpath in term of power supply.
Do you think i can use wire like this :

ATX -12V (blue wire) to be connected to the GND on the PWRPath power supply connectors (black)
ATX +12V (yellow wire) to be connected to the Power on the PWRPath power supply connectors (red)

Thus , i should have -12V ==> +12V , i should have 24V of power on the PWRPath ??
Please confirm
thanks

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
To avoid confusion -
  1. you charge a battery from a power source, the battery is a load on the power source;
  2. you discharge a battery into a load, you put a load on the battery or power source.

Note that the PWRPath is not a good battery charger, it is a very simple trickle charger based on a series diode/resistor combination driven by a fixed voltage regulator and won't charge the battery very quickly with its limited maximum charge current of 1.1A and charges more slowly the more charge in the battery. A typical car battery would take 80hours or more to charge from empty. Also if your power supply is only just 13.8v it may never fully charge the battery as the voltage regulator needs some headroom to maintain a constant charge voltage.

PWRPath is a simple battery back-up for occasional short outages of mains power where there are several (tens of) hours of recovery time to allow the battery to recharge. If you regularly run on battery for significant periods of time this won't work that well.

bend94

Joined Feb 15, 2016
Thanks irving
what could be a good solution to have like an UPS with a battery connected to a load
when the main power is shutdown , automatically the load is connected to the battery without disruption
when the main power is recover, automatically the load is connected to the main power without disruption

just to let you know , the main goal of my PWRpath is to charge a battery for an alarm system based on a arduino
so what do you think ?

may what i can do is :
ATX powersupply => 12V => Solar regulator => Battery
let me know?

or maybe i should purchase this card ?

https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1795.html

Here is what i want to build (being also able to detect if main power is cut off with the power good wire)

Thx

Attachments

Last edited: