Power source burnout

las2

Joined Feb 15, 2007
I am trying to run a 24v gear motor from a power source. The power source is wired through 1 DPDT switch. I have had two power sources burn out and I wonder what I am doing wrong.
I dont really have any electronics experiance so any advice would be very helpfull.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What is this myterious power source? How exactly is it "burning out"? Connected through a DPDT switch is a mostly extraneous generally useless piece of information. A stalled motor looks like a dead short you know.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I am trying to run a 24v gear motor from a power source. The power source is wired through 1 DPDT switch. I have had two power sources burn out and I wonder what I am doing wrong.
I dont really have any electronics experiance so any advice would be very helpfull.
Can you provide more details? A diagram of you circuit would be even more helpful.

Harry

las2

Joined Feb 15, 2007
Sorry for the lack of details, like I said I'm new to electronics.
Im using a power source that plugs into an outlet and converts 120v to 4.5 amp 24v dc. If I wire it directly to the gear motor, it seems to work fine, howerver, if I run it through a switch, after a while the power source doesn,t work. The wierd part is that I works fine while i'm testing it, but then I unplug the power source and leave it for a day, it never works again. Crossing the + and - produces no spark. This has happened with two power sources now, and I wondering if somehow a charge is being trapped in the system when it is unplugged and burning it out over time.
Any suggestions?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Is the switch on the AC side or the DC side? It may be possible to wire a DPDT switch so that you end up creating a short across the terminals. The short causes one or more fuses to fail open protecting the remaining circuitry.

There may be a capacitor inside the power supply which can hold charge after the AC is turned off. It has the posibility to discharge rapidly if a short exists, but otherwise has less than or the same energy that was put into it with the power on.

BTW did you see smoke or flame?

las2

Joined Feb 15, 2007
No smoke or flame, and the switch is on the DC side. I wired the switch between the power source's DC output and the gear motor so I could revese the polarity. Thanks for the suggestions. Im going to re-check my wiring.