Power relay suggestions needed

drjeseuss

Joined Sep 23, 2008
I have a need to switch a standard 120vAC device (lamp) and would like to control it with a microcontroller that outputs 5vDC. I've considered using the 5vDC to switch a 12vDC relay, then the 12vDC circuit would switch a 120vAC relay. This isn't ideal for my situation as I'd like to avoid a need for external power (i.e. a 12v supply), I'd like to keep things small and simple, and solid-state would be nice.

Does anyone know of a solid-state option to use a 5vDC output to trigger a 120vAC load of 1-1.5A max? If not, how about a relay capable of being triggered by the 5vDC and able to handle the 120vAC?

Ideally I'd like the result to be plugged into an outlet and having an outlet on it for the load. Then on the side of this would be a jack (DC power jack, headphone jack, etc.) to connect my 5vDC output by means of a cable.

And to rest your minds, I'm very familiar with the dangers of 120vAC. I've worked as both electrician and low voltage service tech for many years. Sadly, I'm not familiar with the world of relays and power switching. Any ideas out there?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you already think of a solid state relais?
That are devices with a led as input and a powerstage as output.
You can get them with or without zerocross switching.

Greetings,
Bertus

drjeseuss

Joined Sep 23, 2008
...devices with a led as input and a powerstage as output.
Do you mean something like an opto-isolator? Could you possibly send me a link to what you're referring to? And would it be able to handle 120vAC/1A? If so, that's perfect. Thanks!