Power locks but no remote?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I bought my 2007 Ford Focus used and it came with a single key that works in the door and the ignition. Only the driver's door has a keyhole. All the locks in the car are electric, I can unlock everything from the driver's door or the passenger's door. The car came with no key fob to unlock the doors remotely. Every car I've had since 2000 that had electric locks, had a key fob to unlock them remotely. Is it "a thing" for late model cars to have electric locks but no key fob? Is it just a matter of going to the dealership and getting a key fob? Or am I going to have to do something after market to make these locks work remotely?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
A Google of 2007 Ford Focus key fob brings up dozens of hits including how to program them. Just bought another key fob from Advance for my wife's truck and using instructions had the truck learn the new fob. My guess is there is key less entry on your car but you never got the key fobs. Depending on your location try a few local parts stores online and run a search. I know TechSmart makes after market units. Thinking it was Advance I have bought them.

Ron

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Your car would have came with a key fob. Be careful what you buy online. A lot of it is junk. If you are stuck, find a locksmith in your area and they should have the key FOB and the ability to program it. Be prepared, this is nit a cheap adventure. Some of these you may program yourself by following a procedure and others may require you to have an original key. I would have to check my notes to tell you for sure

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Well figure it this way, the most you are out is ten bucks. The car hopefully will respond and learn the code. With my wife's truck I went through an exercise to have her truck learn the code and things have worked ever since. With her truck they changed mid year so I had a 50/50 shot on my first try and got lucky. :) Hopefully what you got will work and be glad you don't have something high end like some of the Lincoln systems anti-theft systems.

Ron

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
You can also use the 3 button key on that model, even a genuine second hand unit should program in no problem then all you have to do is get the mechanical part of the key copied / cut and the transponder cloned at a auto locksmiths