Power Inverter Simulation

gurhan

Joined Aug 10, 2005
Does anyone suggest me the best simulation tool to simulate a full bridge power inverter? What do you think about PSIM which is working quite well and does not have convergence problem like Pspice has. Anyone who would like to share his/her idea I would be very happy to communicate...

Regards
Gurhan Ertasgin

gurhan

Joined Aug 10, 2005
However it does not have switching losses. This could affect efficiency calculations. New version includes switching losses as well. Then what about nonlinear losses such as inductor eddy current or iron losses...Do we need to model inductor with saturable core in PSIM???

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
However it does not have switching losses. This could affect efficiency calculations. New version includes switching losses as well. Then what about nonlinear losses such as inductor eddy current or iron losses...Do we need to model inductor with saturable core in PSIM???
I like PSIM - but have only used the demo version.

One can make a reasonable (albeit clumsy) attempt at including switching losses in PSIM by setting switching element parameters (see note) and using Vsensor + Isensor to capture the switch V & I values. Multiplying V & I signals with some post filtering gives the average losses.

I imagine it would be possible to do something similar with non-linear lossy elements.

Note:
Say you use an IGBT in PSIM. You can enter values for saturation voltage and the reverse diode drop.