Power Dissapation question.

PUNITH B G

Joined Jun 12, 2015
while taking alternate part go with high power dissipation part or low power dissipation part? and explain why?
ex my part is power rating 10w dissipation 2w
can i use 10w with 3w power dissipation part ?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

Congratulations, you have practiced the arcane art of necromancy, the revival of a long dead thread. Likely the TS (Thread Starter) has solved their problem in the years that has passed, or thrown it away, or something.

At thread also belongs to the TS, we do not allow hijacking of an existing thread. I have therefore given you a thread of your very own.

This was split from measuring power dissipation in an IC chip.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
while taking alternate part go with high power dissipation part or low power dissipation part? and explain why?
Since you resurrected an old thread regarding dissipation in an IC, you must be changing the topic... Are you talking about resistors, transistors, ??? Post an example with specifics and you'll have a better chance of getting an answer.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Perhaps I begin to comprehend your question:
Are you saying that you are confused by the disparity between the "power handling" (e.g. 'output power') vs. the "power dissipation" specifications applicable to certain semiconductor devices???

TTFN
HP

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think I understand this to say that you current (for the example) have a part that is rated for 10W and it is dissipating 2W.

But your last line then makes no sense because you are not changing the rating on the part but are changing the power dissipated in it.

In general, all else being the same, you can use any part that is adequately rated for the amount of power it will actually dissipate. Many people use a 2x safety factor so that if they need the part to dissipate 2W they will try to use a part that is rated for at least 4W.