Power cord type

vytenius123

Joined Dec 4, 2020
Hello, i've bought an used server psu recently, but its the first time i see such a strange power cord. Any ideas whats its name?IMG_20201204_153033.jpg

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
I’ve never seen such a connector – normally such inlets are so arranged that a standard IEC 60320 connector cannot mate (to ensure just that) - because it may not be a mains circuit connector.

From the photo, the centre connection does not appear to protrude further than the others to ensure an earth make first/break last on connection/disconnection.

vytenius123

Joined Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

What is the brand and type number?

Bertus
It is HP DPS-500ab-3 A.

I’ve never seen such a connector – normally such inlets are so arranged that a standard IEC 60320 connector cannot mate (to ensure just that) - because it may not be a mains circuit connector.

From the photo, the centre connection does not appear to protrude further than the others to ensure an earth make first/break last on connection/disconnection.
So i should not connect it by using an ordinary IEC connection with soldered respective leads?

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
I would check that it is a mains circuit that is to be connected.

If you do make some modification to allow mains connection, for safety, make sure that the earth connection makes first and breaks last.

I think it will be difficult to solder wires to the exposed pins (given the thermal mass and the potential heat damage to the plastic inlet) – and make it safe with no exposed mains parts.

I would consider replacing the socket with a standard IEC 60320 inlet on the proviso it is a mains circuit.

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Could this socket have something to do with 48VDC power or some other specialized power source? Is there a label on the unit indicating some version of standard AC power?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The photo does look like it is a computer power supply, or some other similar kind. Certainly there should be a label of some kind . From the appearance the pins are thicker than the standard IEC computer connector, so it may be for a higher current than the regular connector.
Probably Digikey has a matching cord available, you can check their on-line catalog to see if that is available.

Providing more information is the most likely way to avoid getting a lot of useless guesses, so let us know about what the connector is a part of, and any additional labels that may be on the package.