Power calculation for solenoid

alanj1000

Joined May 3, 2019
I have a 24v square wave (0 to 24v ) feeding a solenoid. The frequency is 10hz with a 4% duty cycle, so that's 95ms off 5ms on.
Now I believe that Vrms is Vp* square root of on-time/ period 24* square root(4/95)= 4.9v
If the solenoid says it has a power rating of 2.5W and 10 ohms Do I say that Ip is 24/10 2.4A so peak power is 24* 2.4 5.76W
OR can i say that I rms = IP* squareroot of 4/95 =0.550A So Prms= 0.49* 4.9= 2.4Wrms?
So the 2.4Wrms is within the 2.5W spec of the solenoid

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Your maths don't take into account the inductance of the solenoid. The inductance prevents the current reaching a maximum value instantaneously. It is also dependent on whether the solenoid armature is extended or retracted. Are you aware that suddenly switching off the solenoid will result in a large back-emf voltage spike, which will fry your square-wave generator unless you suppress the spike?

alanj1000

Joined May 3, 2019
Welcome to AAC!
Your maths don't take into account the inductance of the solenoid. The inductance prevents the current reaching a maximum value instantaneously. It is also dependent on whether the solenoid armature is extended or retracted. Are you aware that suddenly switching off the solenoid will result in a large back-emf voltage spike, which will fry your square-wave generator unless you suppress the spike?
yes I have a diode and a transorb

alanj1000

Joined May 3, 2019
Welcome to AAC!
Also because the frequency is so low 10hz ,the inductive part is insignificant only the resistive element of 10R

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Also because the frequency is so low 10hz ,the inductive part is insignificant
My LTspice simulation says otherwise, for a duty cycle of only 5%, unless the inductance is also insignificant. An inductance as little as 15mH has a noticeable effect, for example. Can you provide a link to the solenoid spec?

alanj100

Joined Apr 26, 2019
My LTspice simulation says otherwise, for a duty cycle of only 5%, unless the inductance is also insignificant. An inductance as little as 15mH has a noticeable effect, for example. Can you provide a link to the solenoid spec?
the inductance is also small at 0.6mH