Power and HDMI through USB port

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I am planning to set my 11" touchscreen as a stand-alone desktop monitor (similar to the one shown below). My intention is to use it with the USB oscilloscope, Analog Discovery etc
My only concern is that I need to pass three cables, these being the 12VDC power, HMDI, and USB for the touchscreen. Since I am the type of person that freaks out when I see a lot of cables on the desk/workbench, the plan is to get a USB-A to HDMI hub like this one.
This way, the only cable from the PC to the screen will be a USB cable. Then I will mount a small/flat ABS project box at the back to the screen and plug the HDMI to the port of the hub, the USB for the touchscreen to the USB of the hub. and use a 5V to 12V step-up module to power the screen from the USB (max current for the screen is listed as 1A, but I doubt is will reach anywhere near 1A).

Will this setup work? any other suggestions?
1644181065915.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes, I have a suggestion, which is to attach the power supply to the back of the monitor and then put the scope box at the base of the monitor. Check the power required for that touchscreen monitor and you will see that it is more than just a small amount. Also, invest in some short cables. There is no reason to have six foot cables to connect things very close to each other. AND, if you are doing useful things with the scope you will have scope input cables to look at as well.
So get over the obsession with "Neat". It is horribly opposed to all forms of creativity.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I think you are setting yourself up for trouble with incompatibilities and unexpected behaviour.

I have made many, very neat installations of equipment and custom kit for recording studios, scientific labs, and other installations of the sort. In my opinion, the correct solution to your problem is braided sleeving. This company has an enormous range available, and they have resource on their website concerning how to use it so it looks good.

I really like braided sleeving, and used right, it looks extremely neat and professional. You can get it from other sources, including Amazon, but Techflex is my favourite source and I like to support their business which offers something special.

1644183570986.png
Just a few of the options you can find on their site.