Power action camera without battery

travy641

Joined Apr 26, 2020
I'm not sure if this is in the correct section, but I want to power a little action camera (AKASO EK7000) via hard wire and not via battery. I have 2 batteries and both are extremely unreliable, even after full charges. I made an ROV, remotely operated underwater vehicle and plan to use this camera for better video. The issue I have when connecting neg and pos stepping from 12v down to the 3.7v that the battery takes, is that when I press the power button it comes on for a split second and has a yellow triangle (like when the sd card is missing) and almost immediatly powers off? What am I missing? I see that the battery as well as the camera has 3 pins, neg, delta (T), pos. I thought the delta, middle pin may be used for charging to monitor battery temp, but now im wondering if it is used in the camera and how I would go about utilizing it with only the neg and pos? Also, it still requires the power button to be pressed, is there an alternate way around this, ideally when power is applied via on off switch from battery it turns on and off camera. Only reason I ask is because the cam will be in a sealed electronics tube underwater via cable to the surface, so turning on via power button each time could get a bit hectic. Any advice or tips on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The camera shuts down because it's not seeing a valid signal from the battery on the "T" terminal.
You need to figure out the details of how the camera and battery communicate- this might be rather complex.

Getting the camera to turn on would require hacking into the switch circuit, adding a pulse with the correct timing, and perhaps an additional circuit to determine which state it's in - on or off?
Modern consumer gear is complex, nothing about this will be simple.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You need to find a “battery eliminator” that is compatible with your camera. You may have to use a different camera to find one. There are certainly many options, including waterproof ones, for GoPro cameras.

travy641

Joined Apr 26, 2020
You need to find a “battery eliminator” that is compatible with your camera. You may have to use a different camera to find one. There are certainly many options, including waterproof ones, for GoPro cameras.
When you say to find a battery eliminator that is compatible with my camera, does that mean the voltage? Because the battery that came with the camera is 3.7 volts and I cannot find a battery Eliminator circuit that is 3.7 volts lowest I can find is 3 volts or 4 volts. I was however, using a buck converter to get the output voltage to the 3.7v from 12v.

This is the link to what I was using, but that triangle showing and then immediatly shutting down still happens? Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079N9BFZ...abc_Y06CJ6NP2Z3BC2QKS2ED?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

travy641

Joined Apr 26, 2020
The camera shuts down because it's not seeing a valid signal from the battery on the "T" terminal.
You need to figure out the details of how the camera and battery communicate- this might be rather complex.

Getting the camera to turn on would require hacking into the switch circuit, adding a pulse with the correct timing, and perhaps an additional circuit to determine which state it's in - on or off?
Modern consumer gear is complex, nothing about this will be simple.
How would I go about finding out how the battery and Camera communicate with each other? Would I look into the manual or would I need to disassemble and start tinkering that way? Sorry I am not verry familiar testing circuits or anything of that nature. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
When you say to find a battery eliminator that is compatible with my camera, does that mean the voltage? Because the battery that came with the camera is 3.7 volts and I cannot find a battery Eliminator circuit that is 3.7 volts lowest I can find is 3 volts or 4 volts. I was however, using a buck converter to get the output voltage to the 3.7v from 12v.

This is the link to what I was using, but that triangle showing and then immediatly shutting down still happens? Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079N9BFZ...abc_Y06CJ6NP2Z3BC2QKS2ED?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Battery eliminators are purpose-built devices that have a dummy battery on one end and a connector (probably USB in this case) on the other. Obviously they are manufacturer/battery model specific.

1626175848377.png

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
How would I go about finding out how the battery and Camera communicate with each other? Would I look into the manual or would I need to disassemble and start tinkering that way? Sorry I am not verry familiar testing circuits or anything of that nature. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The manual is useless.

Search the internet, then give up and start tinkering.