Potentiometer Stereo tone controller

TieBravo

Joined Aug 21, 2021
Hello please tell me if this stereo potentiometer tone controller circuit would work or not? Amplifier is based on ic CD6283. 12dc supplied to amp. 8 ohms speakers. Each potentiometer 100k.

Attachments

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
No, it is not possible to say anything from the "schematic" given.

If you replace the "bass", "treble" and "vol" with IC identity and those component connections to pin numbers, we can make an attempt.

TieBravo

Joined Aug 21, 2021
No, it is not possible to say anything from the "schematic" given.

If you replace the "bass", "treble" and "vol" with IC identity and those component connections to pin numbers, we can make an attempt.
For stereo tone controller, using ic
is better than Potentiometer?

TieBravo

Joined Aug 21, 2021
Maybe, but please draw it out so we can understand it!
when it comes to tone controls, there’s nothing to beat Peter Baxendall’s circuit from 1952. It just needs two linear pots and a gain stage. Pentode valve in those days, but an op-amp today.
see section 7
https://sound-au.com/dwopa2.htm
Thanks for the great information, and here is the diagram.
*And components gets doubled

Attachments

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
That’s the type of passive tone control that was used before Baxandall. It really needs logarithmic pots and attenuates the signal rather too much, so it will probably make the amplifier noisy, because it has to provide more gain.

TieBravo

Joined Aug 21, 2021
That’s the type of passive tone control that was used before Baxandall. It really needs logarithmic pots and attenuates the signal rather too much, so it will probably make the amplifier noisy, because it has to provide more gain.
Look what i found.....do you think this volume control would be okay if i use cd6283 ic based amplifier which is connected to a 12v step down transformer? And this tone controller is for stereo.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here's the LTspice simulation of one variation of an active Baxandall tone control shown for 0%, 25%, 50% (flat), 75%, and 100% position of the tone control pots.
0% pot position is minimum gain and 100% is maximum gain.

1630011032575.png

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
It looks okay except that it is a obsolete device and you may have a hard time buying one.
I can remember using it about 30 years ago. It worked, but it didn’t work better than a Bax.
There’s a really good, in depth analysis of the Baxendall circuit in all its varieties in Doug Self’s “Small signal” book.