Potentiometer Orientation Question

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The pot is wired as a voltage divider. Yes, the signal transferred is maximum when the wiper is moved away from GND.
Thanks. Now, I have another question. Pin 8 of the TDA1517 is a mute/standby switch, which mutes the output when the pin is low. What is the advantage of using that feature as opposed to simply switching the power off to pin 7?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Using the mute command eliminates going through a re-start which often comes with transients (thumps in the speaker).

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Using the mute command eliminates going through a re-start which often comes with transients (thumps in the speaker).
Thanks. That was my guess, but I didn't know for sure. I have noticed that the first time I operate the switch, there is only a very little pop from the speakers, but if I mute the amp and then immediately unmute it, there is more of a pop. Is there a way to eliminate the pop altogether?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Page one of the datasheet says, "No switch on/switch off plop".
This is going to require somebody that actually knows this chip, and it isn't me.

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
In comparing the MK190 schematic (attached to my first post) to the application diagram in the TDA1517 datasheet, there are two differences.

One is that the filter cap on the power input is 2200 μF in the datasheet and only 1000 μF in the MK190.

The second is that the small cap on the power input is 100 nF in the datasheet and 220 nF in the MK190.

The third is that the datasheet does not show pin 8 connected to ground at any time, however the MK190 shows it connected to ground when it is not connected to pin 8.

Are any of these differences significant, expecially as it relates to the pop at power-on?

Attachments