potentiometer burnout

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I TOLD YOU I measured it with a meter 49.5K. I don't see what more info you need. Here is everything on it: 3296 W503 302B
Yes, you did post that, and then said that it was broken.

The resistance is not written anywhere on the pot, only the model number and another number that isn't the resistance. I measured it with a meter like you said though. 49.56K. Whats weird is no matter how much I turn it down, it doesn't go below 49.2K. I think it's broken because my 50K had to get down to at least around 30 for me to notice the power output.
As for needing anything, I don't. You are the one who asked for help.

I am tempted to lecture you on manners, but that's not my job.

Synaps3

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yes, you did post that, and then said that it was broken.
I'm not sure it's broken. It always reads between 49.5K and 49.2K.

As for needing anything, I don't. You are the one who asked for help.

I am tempted to lecture you on manners, but that's not my job.
It pisses me off when someone replies without fully reading the posts, but I can see you did, so I'm sorry.

Here are the pictures:
http://imageshack.us/a/img585/614/ey1t.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/5056/3dhr.jpg

FYI: That note about connecting to ground is for the guy who made the circuit. I sent him a copy.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I TOLD YOU I measured it with a meter 49.5K. I don't see what more info you need. Here is everything on it: 3296 W503 302B
So now we know.

1) The resistance marking is W503. As BobTPH pointed out, 503 means 50k.

2) The photo of the bottom side shows a 681 SMD resistor. This is 680Ω which is in series with the pot to ground. This is what saves the pot from burning out.

3) You indicate there is a short to GND at the solder joint. This is shorting the 680Ω resistor. That is why your pots are burning out.

But a 50kΩ pot will not burn out when set to the mid point. The pot is burning out when you turn the pot towards the 0Ω setting. Anything below 120Ω and you will exceed the power rating of the 1/2W pot.

Synaps3

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I think you're right because when I removed that solder point, it stops burning out. The power output still slowly begins to decrease though like it did while burning out and eventually reaches zero and then bumps back to what I think is full power. I think there's probably something else wrong or possibly damaged by what I was doing, so I contacted the guy who made it. Hopefully he can fix it for free because he made that mistake on the back.

Thanks for the help! It looks like it solved the burn out problem.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
MrChips
I believe you have solved the mystery. I have learned something new from this mystery about POTS that I didn't know before. I am referring to the 503. I was correct in saying there was a lack of resistance(short to ground) and I was somewhat half way to left field. Thank you for the lesson and the forum has once again done its job. Kudos to the senior members who take time to educate the newbs.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hopefully he can fix it for free because he made that mistake on the back.
Are you sure he made that mistake?

It would appear to me that you unsoldered the original trim pot and soldered three wires on to the solder pads that held the original trim pot.

Members of the jury, I confer upon you to conclude who made the mistake.