Poll - Should ungrateful members be banned?

Should ungrateful members be banned?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi all,

The number of ungrateful people on this forum is rather amazing! Shouting at members to give answers, requesting features and then having a go at the moderators as if they paid for a subscription or something, and all round lazy.

This is not a serious poll but I would like to see the result :D !

Regards

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I voted no. Internet forums are a bit like young puppies: both require a chew toy for proper development and good health. Rude/combative/discourteous requestors make good chew toys, and banning them would deprive the forum members of an opportunity for a good gnaw.

If the objectionable behavior turns out to be chronic (i.e., persists over multiple threads), then go ahead and ban them.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Ignorance is the rule, not the exception. After all, ignorance (in one form or another) is why they are here!
I made noobie mistakes, but I learned. Everybody else is allowed to make noobie mistakes. The only reason to hammer that nail is when they don't learn. "Ban" is a Moderator function, a job I chose not to accept. My personal preference is the, "Ignore" function provided by the website software. A couple of clicks makes an annoying brat disappear, as far as I can tell. I suggest you learn about the Ignore function.;)

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Ignorance is the rule, not the exception. After all, ignorance (in one form or another) is why they are here!
I sometimes ask myself, "How the hell did I ever manage to learn electronics as a kid back in the 50's and 60's without the Internet???" I had no one I could ask, "How do I ...?" and the only way to get any information was to hop on the bus to the nearest big city and hit the library. And once the information was at hand, I had to force myself to study it and understand it, no matter how difficult.

The only reason to hammer that nail is when they don't learn. "Ban" is a Moderator function, a job I chose not to accept. My personal preference is the, "Ignore" function provided by the website software. A couple of clicks makes an annoying brat disappear, as far as I can tell. I suggest you learn about the Ignore function.;)
Until a few months ago, I had no one on "Ignore." Now I have about fifty so far, mostly the ones who "just don't learn" no matter how much help they get, from me or anyone else. Plus a few crazies, "soapbox screamers," and otherwise annoying people.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
We have to remember that some people (and I am thinking about the self-entitled participants who demand to get what they want rather than asking nicely) do not have the ability to view themselves as others see them and may not be at all aware that their behavior is considered rude.

"Ungrateful" people can become valuable contributors, besides they are a great source of interesting problems to solve.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I came to this site and others as a noob and still a noob, my anger in the first stages of development was accepting that I needed the lingo and also needed to know who was willing to help me succeed in building a circuit and who wasn't. I'm not here to help others because I know zip, if I wanted to become and EE I would say so, I'm just a hobby guy looking for entertainment in Electronics, if I was an EE I still wouldn't offer because this site has far superior individuals with experience to learn from.

I've enjoyed building circuits from scratch that most people find irritating and difficult, but if someone can become a good listener they will pick up little by little why something works or doesn't work.

I'm just a Tech with vain aspirations whom in the past people mis-enterperate as skill and knowledge. I believe most people who identify them selves as know nothing people are far better off at receiving help. But, some come to this site believing they have a billion dollar idea and won't tell you what or why they want to attempt a circuit design just piss off the people who could help them.

kv

Joined Nov 30, 2010
We have to remember that some people (and I am thinking about the self-entitled participants who demand to get what they want rather than asking nicely) do not have the ability to view themselves as others see them and may not be at all aware that their behavior is considered rude.
My study material for last week was, "solipsism":

noun
Philosophy. the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist.
extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one's feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption.

This branch of philosophy explains that for some people, the center of the universe is their self. Other people are abstract ideas which might, or might not exist. For a solipsist, the person standing next to them is as unknowable and as unimportant as a Quadratic equation. The Internet can exaggerate this world view. Case in point: I believe the Internet is entirely imaginary. It's very convenient, but if it disappeared today, the only thing that would change for me is that I would turn on the TV to learn about the weather. For a solipsist, most of the world is just as imaginary as what I believe about the Internet. There is no reason to treat imaginary Internet people with more consideration than the physical person standing next to a solipsist.

Just a side trip into my world of exploration which, purely by coincidence, might have some relevance to this conversation.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I didn't vote no, but that's my opinion.

Here and everywhere on the internet, and frankly in real life as well, I rarely feel the need to punish anyone for their content, beyond simply ignoring them. There are exceptions such as intentionally spewing lies or attacking innocent bystanders, but mere rudeness doesn't warrant a response.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I sometimes ask myself, "How the hell did I ever manage to learn electronics as a kid back in the 50's and 60's without the Internet???" I had no one I could ask, "How do I ...?"
Well my early formative years were the late 50s and early 60s. I was fortunate in that my father was an EE and willing to help me. His help often consisted of handing me a book or simply telling me to go to the library. Once I went to the library or read the book he was more generous with help on questions. I was fortunate to have my father and thank God for books and the library plus the ability to read so thanks mom.

As to the topic at hand? Sometimes it gets humorous as when a poster does not see the reply they want to see they become indignant. A half dozen members who are knowledgeable will reply to a question, they argue the answers waiting for the reply they want to hear. I see it as some sort of "entitlement thing". :) I have seen new members with questions leading me to believe why tigers eat their young. Banned? Nope but ignored yes.

Ron

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
As to the topic at hand? Sometimes it gets humorous as when a poster does not see the reply they want to see they become indignant. A half dozen members who are knowledgeable will reply to a question, they argue the answers waiting for the reply they want to hear. I see it as some sort of "entitlement thing".
Yep. I see that play out weekly if not daily here.

That and not posting enough relevant information up front for anyone to give them a tailored answer with either then getting upset when all information given does not match their criteria that they don't divulge for 10's of posts down the line.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Sometimes it gets humorous as when a poster does not see the reply they want to see they become indignant. A half dozen members who are knowledgeable will reply to a question, they argue the answers waiting for the reply they want to hear.
Yeah, those can get pretty funny sometimes. But I reckon such folks don't need any comeuppance from me; reality will take care of that sooner or later.

But they can occasionally get very annoying; we had one fellow show up here a few months back (or maybe it was sometime last year) who posted a couple of questions and then proceeded to argue with everyone who tried to help him. He was pretty nasty about it, too. Eventually he was banned here, and on several other forums where he put on the same attitude.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
That and not posting enough relevant information up front for anyone to give them a tailored answer with either then getting upset when all information given does not match their criteria that they don't divulge for 10's of posts down the line.
I usually give the person a chance to answer the first couple of requests for more information, then if they don't promptly do so I just put them on "Ignore." Not worth the bother...

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I usually give the person a chance to answer the first couple of requests for more information, then if they don't promptly do so I just put them on "Ignore." Not worth the bother...
At that point I usually just switch to checking on a thread now and then to see if it self corrects and starts moving in a productive direction. So far only two here have ever made it to my ignore list and even then I took them off after a few months.

My only peeves here are hypocrisy and playing stupid to get out of owning up to having been proven wrong. Neither of which are things I see as totally ignore worthy now being I just place their technical/social contribution values so low on my radar they are basically nobody worth my respect.
Rather makes them funny, in a pathetic (just glad I am not them) sort of way now, and I love humorous things even if it comes from nothing more than watching dumb/shallow people try and spin reality to justify their ignorance and delusions of their place and value in it! :p

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
My study material for last week was, "solipsism":
As I see it, the 'trouble' with solipsism (which might tolerably be described as the belief that reality is merely one's dream - and, hence, creation) can be 'summed up' by the words of Lou Costello - To wit: "I'm not smart enough to have dreams like this!":eek:

Best regards
HP

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Unless AAC turns into the moral equivalent of a bar room brawl, there's no need to start banning members from the forums.

However, the cyber world may eventually develop a virtual security check point to search members for firearms, blunt objects, sharp instruments, and chemical/biological agents before logging on. There may also be a "No Register" list to prevent people from even accessing AAC altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.