Polarize Vs. Non-Polarize Caps.

Lotus

Joined Oct 11, 2007
I'm a newbie both in here and in electronics, but i must say that you have a great forum. :)
I have some questions concerning capacitors:
Can i replace a polarized electrolytic cap with another one non-polarized polypropylen or film in a hi-fi speaker crossover?

What you guys think are best, polypropylen or film caps ?

Thanks.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Poly would probably be a bit better, as to performance. But look at the price per microfarad compared with electrolytics and you will probably want to stay with the polarized caps.

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
@OP
it depends on which caps you are replacing. If they are in the signal path then you should use the high quality film caps. If they are for bulk capacitance or decoupling then the price (and size) calls for Al electrolytic

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I'm a newbie both in here and in electronics, but i must say that you have a great forum. :)
I have some questions concerning capacitors:
Can i replace a polarized electrolytic cap with another one non-polarized polypropylen or film in a hi-fi speaker crossover?

What you guys think are best, polypropylen or film caps ?

Thanks.
A polarized electrolytic cap in a crossover seems strange, to say the least. I think you may have a non-polarized aluminum electrolytic cap (yes, those exist too). If you have to replace, you can use a mylar cap, which is better for sound than a polipropylene one. Of course, the better, the more expensive will be.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
having caps in an audio signal path is either, it has to be there or avoid using it.

about the phillips polyester cap, in general its okay but a metallized poly is better. however between polyester and tantalum, tantalum would be the better choice.

a polypropylene would be a good choice since it has nearly the same relative qualities of DF and DA as polystyrene. these 2 however has a considerable cost factor.

for an open pocket a teflon cap will nicely do:)

moz

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
having caps in an audio signal path is either, it has to be there or avoid using it.

about the phillips polyester cap, in general its okay but a metallized poly is better. however between polyester and tantalum, tantalum would be the better choice.

a polypropylene would be a good choice since it has nearly the same relative qualities of DF and DA as polystyrene. these 2 however has a considerable cost factor.

for an open pocket a teflon cap will nicely do:)

moz
We are talking about crossover networks, therefore, AC circuits. No polarized caps there.