Pokémon Go Linked to CIA

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Silly:
http://www.infowars.com/pokemon-go-linked-to-cia/
Software like that could theoretically turn millions of smartphone users into ‘Imperial probe droids’ who take real-time, ground-level footage of their cities and homes, reaching into dark alleyways and basements which spy satellites and Google cars can’t reach.
Real:
http://www.wftv.com/news/trending-now/police-robbers-used-pokemon-go-to-lure-victims/396504188
O'FALLON, Mo. —

Police in Missouri arrested four people early Sunday after they allegedly robbed multiple people at gunpoint using the wildly popular "Pokemon Go" smartphone app.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Just spent the evening in the park with my grandson while his parents - and hundreds of other pasty nerds - collected Pokemon. I've never seen so many people in the park! I estimate 19 in 20 people there were playing or with a player. Only a handful of regular folks were there, the normal level for a weeknight. Wall to wall nerds.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Just spent the evening in the park with my grandson while his parents - and hundreds of other pasty nerds - collected Pokemon. I've never seen so many people in the park! I estimate 19 in 20 people there were playing or with a player. Only a handful of regular folks were there, the normal level for a weeknight. Wall to wall nerds.
That's a good thing, just stay away from those hungry bears.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Pokemon Go is a fantastic game for what it is but I think it is dangerous. Why?

It is important to create a wall between the fantasy and real world. It's OK to play violent games on an Xbox such as Call of duty because there is no real increase in violent behavior (those who go killing where already messed up. Also think about the graphics on those consoles, they are obviously NOT real life). It is OK to dive deep into a fantasy game on the PC like Skyrim (I am a personal fan, slaying dragons, killing the undead, making weapons etc et).

What is not OK is when you start to create augmented reality (or as I like to think of it as twisted reality). By changing how real life looks and appears is dangerous because you begin to take away what is actually real. I like to walk through a park with no headphones and a smart phone....in my pocket. I like to see trees, hear birds and smell the air. When you start to spend all your time looking into a screen you begin to become detached from life. Pokemon is a good game, when its on a console at home.

Its not Pokemon that is at fault, its any augmented reality game that tries to enter your life wherever it can. When you start to augment reality you begin to feel less rewarded for things that actually matter in real life. For example, I could use an augmented reality system to go to work and pretend I am walking through a jungle. I find secret treasures and fight monsters to get to the end (where you work). When you work your reward may be friends, money, perks or the experience.

Here is a question for my generation:

Q) What is more rewarding
  1. Enter a world of mythical fantasy where you are a lone knight fighting for justice and freedom. You are also the last of the dragon born who can muster the will and very soul of the fire breathing demons that lurk in the deep dark corners of this world. Using your sword and shield you must fight your way to glory and victory
  2. Work in an office where you will advance your career and earn a higher wage

Thank goodness I only play games every so often (once every few days)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Will the game's owner be responsible for those mindlessly walking into the street and getting killed because they were "playing in traffic" or does the user agreement resolve the owner of all responsibility.

I'm assuming the Pokeman's are images on your phone and are placed there when your GPS tells the game your near one. That relies on GPS navigation and the GPS with cell phones position is within a 90 feet radius maximum. Here little johnny, go play pokeman GO ... and stay out of the street.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So...now I know what a, "Social Justice Warrior" is.
I'm just happy they are newly minted so I didn't have to suffer that kind of bologna in my first 65 years.:D