Please recommend a recent OP-Amp book.

whitehaired novice

Joined Jul 15, 2017
I have read this forum's information on op-amps and ordered a copy of the “Op-Amp Cookbook.” I know this is pretty out of date but it seems to be still referenced. Is there a recent practical guide (that is, one with complete circuits using modern components) aimed at the hobbyist?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The basic concepts haven't. The most significant change is opamps with rail to rail inputs and/or outputs.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would say the Op-Amp Cookbook is a good start with the age of the material not really relevant as the principles still apply
Max.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Do check out what is offered at Texas Instruments and Analog Devices. Both have certainly had excellent materials available in the past. I haven't looked recently, but have no reason to believe that it is not still the case. TI acquired Burr-Brown and National Semiconductor, both producers of significant analog products. AD acquired Linear Tech and with it the writings of the late Jim Williams who produced some of the best analog ap notes in the industry, in my opinion (some a bit dated now because of introductions of new parts, but his insight and ability to present material well still makes them excellent). Maxim used to have a few decent ap notes, but I can't recall any that particularly impressed me.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Do check out what is offered at Texas Instruments and Analog Devices. Both have certainly had excellent materials available in the past. I haven't looked recently, but have no reason to believe that it is not still the case. TI acquired Burr-Brown and National Semiconductor, both producers of significant analog products. AD acquired Linear Tech and with it the writings of the late Jim Williams who produced some of the best analog ap notes in the industry, in my opinion (some a bit dated now because of introductions of new parts, but his insight and ability to present material well still makes them excellent). Maxim used to have a few decent ap notes, but I can't recall any that particularly impressed me.
Don't forget LT. RCA used to do pretty good tech manuals, but I'm not sure what banner they ended up under.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Op amps for everyone. Ron Mancini.
Several editions.
Can be downloaded.

If Bruce Carter shows up, I understand he reedited Ron's book.

whitehaired novice

Joined Jul 15, 2017
Thanks for the help. Though I haven't yet studied all the theory I will--that's why I ordered the print version of "Op Amp Cookbook." What I would like is something that takes me through the current amps. For instance, the venerable 741 is still widely available though I'm sure none of you would recommend it today. I suspect that one reason it is so available is that there must be thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands circuits published using it. But, even though better amps than that are easy to buy, finding circuits that use those amps is difficult or impossible. A while back I saw some 358's for sale cheap. I didn't buy any, but the add was still in my mind when some member proposed a circuit using 358's and a fellow member chided him for using out of date amps.

To the matter at hand--I have a couple of LM 4250 op amps and hope to make a voltage follower in order to increase the input resistance of my LED 5 digit voltmeter. I found lots of data sheets and a nice AN 71 which discusses the amp in great detail. As far as finding anyone who actually used it, all I got was a very few references to someone who had made a guitar pre-amp with it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Op amps are meant to be generic. You don't have to wait for someone to show you explicitly how to use an op amp. What you need to know are the specifications and limitations and how to select a particular type of op amp for a given situation.

Here are some of the basic things to look for:

Supply voltage range
Single or dual supply
Rail-to-rail inputs and outputs
Single, dual or quad op amps
Low frequency vs high frequency
Gain Bandwidth Product
BJT vs CMOS
BJT vs FET inputs
Norton Op amp (LM3900)
Current vs Voltage Feedback (CFB, VFB)
Input impedance