Please recommend a prototype board for a Midi Control surface

ghostdzog

Joined Nov 27, 2016
Hi. I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to give me a little advice on what prototype board to buy.
I am planning to design some tactile control surfaces that can be used to control computer software either across USB or the old MIDI interface.
One of the areas that i am thinking of designing for is Autism, or should i say designing control surfaces that can be used by Autistic people of various ages and levels of disability to interact with sensory information.

I am presently researching hardware Midi Control surfaces that incorporate analogue sliders, buttons, endless rotary encoders, LED displays etc, that not only send data but also receive data which is reflected on the control surface perhaps in the shape of LED positions (such as when using LED Rings around rotary encoders).

I need multiple inputs on the prototype board and multiple outputs, so that I may incorporate as many controls as i require (although i understand that if the board is limited to how many I/O's that it has, then there are ways around this through multiplexing and key registers?).

I have read that ARM M3 mcu's have a good rep for performance for this type of application. However, i would also be open to advice from anyone experienced in this area.

Thanks for any help
Kind regards

ghostdzog

Joined Nov 27, 2016
Hi
thanks for the info.
I had considered the MIDI box platform
but think that the shop that used to operate is no longer operating.

I guess that even if one has to start from scratch
one can still use the work covered by those who developed the midibox platform
and adapt it to make my own software etc

thanks

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
I have read that ARM M3 mcu's have a good rep for performance for this type of application.
the kind of things you listed earlier can be done with 8-bit mcus, with lots of capacities to spare.

So pretty much any mcu will do this for you, unless you have some extreme requirements. and if you list out more specifics, others may be able to better help you.