Please Help - What is the device people use to map out current?

mehavecupcake

Joined Feb 26, 2016
Hi,
Just wondering if I could get some help. I'm doing a project on AC and I need to know what they used to find out that alternating current is a wave.

Thanks in advance!:)

mehavecupcake

Joined Feb 26, 2016
Sorry, let me rephrase the question.

How would Nikola Tesla have proven that his Poly-phase Distortion Motor produced alternating current as opposed to direct current?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Faraday. Electrical movement is caused by a magnet and a wire that are moving relative to each other. If they move, the amplitude simply must change. At what rate? That goes to simple geometry. Magnetic density at a distance changes according to the amount of distance. Figure the motion and the relative intensity and you have a sine wave.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
How would Nikola Tesla have proven that his Poly-phase Distortion Motor produced alternating current as opposed to direct current?
He could have "proved" it was alternating current by showing that it would magnetically couple between two coils, whereas DC wouldn't.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I get a lot of google hits about why voltage and current distortion is bad in polyphase motors, but nothing about intentional distortion inflicted on or resulting from a polyphase motor.:confused: