Please help to identify this diode.

Chuck Clavio

Joined Sep 10, 2019
Need to purchase this diode to repair my Panasonic Plasma TV PSU. T2D76 is written on its body and it has a red band on one side. Tried to Google/Digi-key...etc but to no avail. Can anyone help?

Attachments

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
It's a MIP3E3 chip, pin 6 is cut off, only 3pins connected.

View attachment 185993
I think you meant pin 7 is cut, I was referring to the toasted terminal 8, it looked in line with the suspected diode, seems like I could see some scorched marks on the board leading to the negative on the electrolytic cap also. Something I wouldn't overlook and just replace or at least check.

kv

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
It doesn't look like solder, but some kind of sealant, IMHO. Normally, then these chips go bad, the "lid" pops off. They literally split in two with a bang.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
It doesn't look like solder, but some kind of sealant, IMHO. Normally, then these chips go bad, the "lid" pops off. They literally split in two with a bang.

Didn't say it was bad, I just said looks like it took some heat. If he's able to get it up and going then cleans things up, re-soldering all surrounding heated components. If I was in this far, why not change them out? the labor going back in costs more than the components.

Not my first rodeo, worked in a TV repair shop for 15 years, as well as diagnose and repair proprietary electronics. I've seen my far share of burn outs.

kv

Edit: Oh, and @narkeleptk sorry I miss read the chip, been 20 years since I've dealt with these chips. You were right.

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I think you meant pin 7 is cut, I was referring to the toasted terminal 8, it looked in line with the suspected diode, seems like I could see some scorched marks on the board leading to the negative on the electrolytic cap also. Something I wouldn't overlook and just replace or at least check.

kv
I'm right see post #8

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I think that what you are calling scorch marks are just dirt. It looks like this TV comes from a house of smokers. The electrostatic forces near high voltage points will attract dirt and smoke and deposit them on the board. Also, the IC has two eyelets inserted in the board - those are the two circles under the IC. Eyelets allow the solder to wick up the leg more easily, thus you sometimes see the solder balls.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I think that what you are calling scorch marks are just dirt. It looks like this TV comes from a house of smokers. The electrostatic forces near high voltage points will attract dirt and smoke and deposit them on the board. Also, the IC has two eyelets inserted in the board - those are the two circles under the IC. Eyelets allow the solder to wick up the leg more easily, thus you sometimes see the solder balls.
I see the wicking now that we have better pics. Seen the eyelets.

Man takes me back a bit, in the shop the old sets would get the dust and the smoke accumulation on the wires everything was covered, CRT's with the high voltage, it was the most disgusting thing to see, I would just put the back on and call the customer to pic up the TV, not worth it.

Yuck. :eek:

kv

Edit: Actually if this is a heat problem, I can see why you would want eyelets to reinforce that section of the circuit because of the heat.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
After all, it is not sealant, as I though. It is a strange blog of solder (like the hole is bigger and plated, which is strange for a single sided PCB), but it doesn't look like it is the result of any overheating. The blackened pins seem to be dirty and/or corroded. It is just mild corrosion due to aging, nothing serious.