Please help me identify the Fuses on this PCB please thank you.

DeanTriesToFix

Joined Apr 17, 2023
Hi All
I am hoping someone can help me identify the fuse or fuses on this PCB it is out of a Sony WX500 Digital camera. As I am pretty new to this sort of thing but I am good at the replacement of prts and dismantling these type of cameras I have repaired a few by soldering components on to PCB boards. Buy I do not know a lot about circuits but I am willing to learn. Also if someone cann help where would I purches these fuses from?

Many Thanks

Dean.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There appear to be two fuses on this PCB, one is well marked, F1/E3, just off the lower left corner of the square white IC near the USB connector towards the top in the photo. The other fuse is unmarked, but it looks like the same kind of fuse, it is the one near the lower right corner of the board as we see it i the photo.
Before attempting a replacement you should use an ohm meter to verify that a fuse has failed. It is important to know what caused the fuse failure, since replacing a fuse does not fix that problem.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
There appear to be two fuses on this PCB, one is well marked, F1/E3, just off the lower left corner of the square white IC near the USB connector towards the top in the photo. The other fuse is unmarked, but it looks like the same kind of fuse, it is the one near the lower right corner of the board as we see it i the photo.
Are you sure those are fuses? The first has the markings F1, F3, and F4 in a cluster near what looks like some kind of clip or connector (maybe for shielding?)

1681731687029.png
There is also an F2 marking with no obvious referent—perhaps those are test points under it?

1681731757890.png
Then the mystery component appears twice more with no legend...

1681731827218.png 1681731880331.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thank You, "Y". How could I have missed that third device?? It was prior to my coffee taking effect, I suppose.
My advice on checking the fuses before anything else still holds.
And still the question stands: Why did a fuse fail???
Fuses seldom fail for "no reason", and so only replacing the fuse may not solve the problem.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Would the mystery components be some kind of spring contact to connect to a frame or case for grounding?
Given the number of multi-pin connectors on the board, it does not seem likely that those items are contact springs. But they might possibly be spring type fuse holders. AND I see one more, towards the top left corner in the post#1 photo.
And now I am wondering about the other side of the circuit board.

DeanTriesToFix

Joined Apr 17, 2023
The board looks new no signs of damage or shorts anywhere. It is dead no power I have lots of these and it is a shame to just throw them I keep them for parts. As i am not very good at testing but I want to learn thank you for your help.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I don’t see any fuses on the board.

Normally, you would apply power and trace the voltage until you found a place it stopped or was wrong.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, surface mount fuses look a lot like surface mount resistors that are a bit larger. There is one suspect near that notation "F2", and I suggest checking it with an ohm meter. Then check the other devices that appear similar.

The remaining problem is knowing what the current rating is supposed to be.

wraujr

Joined Jun 28, 2022
Looks like parts removed already including F1,F3,F4 and not really seeing F2. Lot's of fuses for a digital camera board. Possibility that 'F' does not mean fuse.
Second, no other silk screen for other components (i.e. R, C, U, .....)
Suspect F is mfgr designation for some form of test access.