Please Assist, MP3 player keeps cutting out mid song for unknown reasons

Oli1234321

Joined Jun 29, 2018
I have currently made and thought I finished a music box for a friend. It consists of two speakers(I just found them lying about so I am unsure what type they are), a push to break button, a three AA battery pack with micro USB connection and an mp3 player.

The MP3 was specifically called:"Mp3 lossless Decoder With Power Amplifier Module TF Card Decoding Player".

How the present should work is when you open the box it'll play the first song, except the problem I'm having is that the song cuts out at certain points, My current theory is to do with power cutting out, except the song cuts out in the exact same place each time. I was able to temporarily solve this by moving the wires around but it no longer works.

If anyone could assist me and tell me how to fix it I would really really appreciate it.

IMG_4349.jpgIMG_4350.jpg IMG_4350.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I was able to temporarily solve this by moving the wires around but it no longer works.
What does this mean? Moving wires and having it stopped working is a temporary solution??
If anyone could assist me and tell me how to fix it I would really really appreciate it.
You have given us very little to go on.
  1. Is the output stereo? Or have you connected the two speakers in parallel?
  2. Is the point where it cuts out a loud passage?
  3. What is the output rated for (watts into x ohms)?
  4. Have you tried disconnecting one of the speakers?
  5. Are the batteries fresh?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Nice work on the box. Assuming you mean the music briefly stops then starts again right where it left off; the mp3 player may be starving for data, or unable to process at the required speed. Try a faster USB fob and/or a lower bitrate mp3 file.

I think @dl324 could also be onto something; if the little amplifier is being over taxed, possibly due to incorrect speaker impedance, etc.., it might be turning off (self protection mode).

Can you post the model or datasheet of the mp3 player board?

Last edited:

Oli1234321

Joined Jun 29, 2018
Thank you everyone for your replies, as I was making a long list of answers in response I did try disconnecting one of the speakers and now it works fine. It was my poor research into the power needs of the speakers and the power output of the batteries - I just assumed it would work.

Oli1234321

Joined Jun 29, 2018
Furthermore, if I wanted to decrease the volume with minimal work what could I do? As this was my first time using speakers I didn't realize that they would just play at maximum volume, so this box is a bit deafening.