Playing Frankenstein with a Power Suply

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Hi everyone. I got this broken PCB. It is the power supply of a big printer. The model of the power supply is ZSMQ420H. It is physicaly broken (The plastic), but it worked.

I have extracted what I thought was valuable. The power supply has different outputs, but one is interesting for me 24V 14A.

Do you think I can rebuilt using only some parts to have these 24V and 14A?

I don´t need the same quality than the printer. I´m not going to use in digital applications or leaving alone with the risk of fire. Only for experiments where the quality or the ripple is not very important.

I can buy more components if is necessary. I have looked up the diagram but I haven´t found it.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Do you know which transistor, resistor, capacitor, etc. goes where?
To reconstruct the supply you need to know what components connect where and, with no schematic available, you could have got that information from the component placement on the original board.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You have some parts that were once part of a power supply. Can you re-use them in another supply? Sure. The inductors are relatively expensive, and if no shorts (one looks like it may have solder splashed on it), can be used again. Same goes for most of the other components I see.

Where to start? Consider only the 24V @ 14A aspect as that seems to be all you are interested in. Look for designs on the web for such switch-mode supplies. See how your parts meet the requirements and then design around them. Trying to duplicate the original will be very difficult and unlikely to succeed.

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Thanks for your answers.

The inductors are OK, it is glue.

I´m not really interested in replicate. Only on built a power supply reusing the components. But I´m afraid I don´t have the skils to calculate the vaue of the components

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You need the switchmode chip to start with, looks like there are 2 left on the PCB and 4 optocouplers , these PSUs are Dangerous to play with if you don't have the knowledge of them then you won't succeed.

Best to leave it in bits.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here are some sample prices for similar looking power inductors with 10A to 15A capability:
1604665790116.png

That is why I have a box of scavenged power inductors. They are heavy and relatively expensive. I agree that if you really don't know how to work from a design, it is probably better to start with easier projects.