plasma torch

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Hey guys, I think I know how a normal plasma cutting torch works. lets start with this image. http://www.plasma-cutter.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/plasma2.gif
My question is, could there be a plasma torch, sort of like a mix between a CRT electron gun and a particle accelerator, such that would not need the target to be connected, and allow the gas ions to flow towards the target without destroying the torch in the process? Maybe a magnetic field to not let the ions touch the outside portion of the torch?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The last plasma torch that I had seen did not require connection to the piece being cut, except for shock prevention. It simply passed compressed air through the arc and onto the part being cut. Quite dangerous, spraying molten steel around, but it did work. Much hotter than an oxy-acetylene torch and no gas cylinders to contend with. BUT it did draw lots of power.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE: Kubeek
Yes, I had worked with such. But dont forget the e-beam is possible exclusively in the deep vacuum nowhere else. Then patch of roughly 3x4 mm is formed by Einsel lense system from e-gun with 36 kV and about 5 Amperes - note, that is 120-150 kW. The result is boiling the 2500C crystall, but not evaporating.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:"""Maybe a magnetic field to not let the ions touch the outside portion of the torch?""
Normally, Einzell lenses are not suffering by erosion or overheating except the cases of mismanaged steering into.
Whilst magnetic types of accelerators I had large hopes some years ago was turned out being some speculation of deep mistaken scientist. At least I won the small project to get the so advertized "crossfirefusion" website described spiral-like six-phase magnetic accelerator computer model. The model was created and shown that there 99,99% of all particles will be lost in process, only exclusively few will be accelerated and only slightly. That may labeled a completely unuseable principle. Only what really works from magnetic things is the lineary rail engine, but it is absolutely too long any for ion-beam acceleration. So, my experience says - better stay about electrostatics.