PIR sensor with Arduino or a simple analogue voice activation circuit.

geebee58

Joined Feb 14, 2017
Thanks Scott and Ian for your input so far. I greatly appreciate it. I will let you know how things work out. I still may need to post a question or two in the future.
Hi, how did this work out for you. As it happens, I'm attempting to build a voice activated system for our clay target launcher. Currently we only have a single button release. If I can ask if you had any success and if also you have voice release circuit? I was looking at using Arduino or a simple analogue voice activation circuit. cheers.

Moderator's Note:
Please don't hijack other member's thread, now you have your own.
This thread was split from --
PIR sensor to activate a voice activated circuit.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/pir-sensor-to-activate-a-voice-activated-circuit.114082/

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Why not use a whistle or other constant sound/tone device.........and a filter matching that sound.....into the sound activated launcher?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Using active audio filters.......you can control thru an active audio channel. This used to be done all the time on phone lines and rf audio channels. These signals were in the bandpass. They were used for access and control functions on repeaters.
One can filter a small audio spectrum of the whole audio bandpass.........and hardly notice any difference in audio quality.
One can parallel an active filter to an existing mic......whistle from across the room...and get a switching action. That active tone can be filtered from the speaker. To make it work without hearing the unused part of the whistle thru the speaker........whistle only that one tone.

geebee58

Joined Feb 14, 2017
Using active audio filters.......you can control thru an active audio channel. This used to be done all the time on phone lines and rf audio channels. These signals were in the bandpass. They were used for access and control functions on repeaters.
One can filter a small audio spectrum of the whole audio bandpass.........and hardly notice any difference in audio quality.
One can parallel an active filter to an existing mic......whistle from across the room...and get a switching action. That active tone can be filtered from the speaker. To make it work without hearing the unused part of the whistle thru the speaker........whistle only that one tone.
Hi,
Definitely feasible, but I think the original post was to use the PIR as an enable for a voice activated launcher. The notion being to sense with the PIR when a person was ready to call "pull" for the clay launcher to release. This is to avoid false (sound) triggers as can happen even with commercially available voice release systems. For people ready to "call" for a target, they usually actually say "pull" or any word they like. A competition may involve each person call 100 times. Having a whistle or making the shooters whistle may be problematic. The challenge in this instance is to balance off sensitivity to the caller's voice levels against background noise and even the noise of the guns being closed.... Voice recognition is possible by probably not feasible due to the overhead of having to record sample of each competitor's voice and "train" the system.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
As it happens, I'm attempting to build a voice activated system for our clay target launcher.
Who pushes the button you currently have? Generally the shooter yells "pull" and the bird is launched. If this is a matter of just detecting an audible yell of "pull" and also keeping the button I would choose a simple microphone circuit feeding a comparator with maybe, if needed a simple one shot driving a set of relay contacts in parallel with the existing button. Use a pot for the comparator reference so different levels of triggering can be set.

Ron