PIR motion sensor far too insensitive - why?

ronwer224

Joined Apr 8, 2016
I need to make a PIR motion sensor for a museum project. The plan is that the PIR activates sounds when visitors enters certain displays/exhibits.

I choose for the following solution, since it is a project that has been made with simple components, tested and proven functionally.

PIR motion sensor.jpg

To my great frustration it did not work as expected!

The circuit is way too insensitive. Only moving my soldering iron closely to the PIR activated the circuit. My hand didn't do anything.

Therefore I started to change things.

I tried 2 different PIR sensors, one from eBay, the other one salvaged from a professional alarm system. Same result.

R1 was changed into 1K, resulting in a slight increase of sensitivity.

I changed R3 into respectively 2M and then 1M, but the circuit was unstable and prone to oscillations. And when stable it was still way too insensitive.
I tried to change C2 and C3 to 100nF in order to try to get rif of the oscillations, but without success.

I did not use the LM324 as in the original circuit, but choose the LM358 because that makes it easier to design the PCB. I assume these to be similar enough that this cannot be the problem. I tried several other opamps, all with the same or worse result.

I can see on the scope that moving my hand in front of the PIR gives a pulse on pin 7 of U1b. The soldering iron gives a huge pulse.

Now a few questions.

What is better: decreasing R1 as opposed to increasing R2?
Was it OK to replace the LM324?
Can the problem be the window comparator?
What else can I have done wrong???

I hope somebody can help me!

Ron Werner
Norway

PIR motion sensor pic.jpg

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If you are not using a focusing lens (fresnel or otherwise) in front of the sensor, you will see decreased sensitivity as a result of a lack of directivity.

ronwer224

Joined Apr 8, 2016
Thanks for these quick replies!

I ordered lenses, they are on their way!

But I don't need wide angle detection! I will build in the PIR sensors in a piece of tube. The whole sensor will be hung op at a height of about 3 meters, exactly above the entrance of the display/exhibit. Visitors need to actually walk under the sensor to activate the sound. The entrances are 1-2 meters wide. Outside that area I don't want to PIR to be activated.

The 150uF cap was already reduced to 10uF and has the function to increase the time the "1" signal is on the output. I only need a short pulse, probably the pulse is already long enough without any capacitor at all!?

But still, even without a lense, the PIR should easily react to my waving hand at a distance of 1 meter...or am I wrong!?

Now with the extra amplification the PIR reacts at my hand only when I move it directly in front of the sensor, maybe max. 10 cm not more.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
You assembly looks good, but I find that the most often reason my projects don't work right off the bat is a wiring error. The use of LM358s instead of an LM324 is inconsequential.

ronwer224

Joined Apr 8, 2016
@tracecom...

Accept my humble thanks! You inspired me to take a second second-look at the PCB, and yes, there it was! I had connected the 22uF cap to the "2" of U1a instead of "1". It's just a tiny little track that went wrong, but I suppose this must make a huge difference.

(I don't use a PCB editor program, just CorelDraw)

I will make a new PCB this evening, go back to the original component values and will post the result tomorrow!

Everybody thanks for your assistance!

Ron Werner
Norway

ronwer224

Joined Apr 8, 2016
Now the detector works excellent. Without a lense my moving body is detected at 1 meter at least.
That means I can make the necessary units for this years exposition about log cabins.
Thanks for your help. This forum certainly is the best I have seen so far!

Regards,

Ron