Pioneer DJM 800 Mixer - Phono Input Distortion

Jace Overend

Joined May 18, 2018
Hi guys!
My mixer has started to act up. If I plug a cd player (or any line level sound source) in to the mixer it produces sound with no distortion (albeit at a very quiet level ?) This is on both the analog inputs and digital. But... If I connect my turntables on the Phono input.... The distortion is unbelievable, with every bass drum kick of a song it just crackles or makes some high pitched noise. Also not sure if this is related to the issue but the master will not go above -7 on the meter in general. The channel faders will go to max and hit the red, when hitting the red the master will then actually hit -1 or Zero but no more and there is no way of me getting it any louder....

I hope I've made sense haha. I have tools to test components. I would say I was a novice, so I may need things explaining a bit more, so just bear with me please. I have downloaded the service manual as well (just in case anybody was going to ask).
Thank you in advance guys.
Jace :)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Page 71 of the manual shows the main power supply outputs and this is the place to start. Check all the outputs shown here.

Following this page is a list of control/input conditions for measuring voltages and then on the following pages are tables of voltages at many points in the circuit and I expect we will be referring to these later.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Page 12 of the manual has the block diagram of the input functions, you can narrow it down by inputting the signal into each section to see where the fault lies. Then goto that circuit using the manual to check for voltages and signal levels.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It looks like a not very professional repair but if it was working previously with that in there then it isn't the cause of the problrm.

Jace Overend

Joined May 18, 2018
Page 12 of the manual has the block diagram of the input functions, you can narrow it down by inputting the signal into each section to see where the fault lies. Then goto that circuit using the manual to check for voltages and signal levels.
Hi Dave, this fault happens across all channels with a phono input, when I flick it over to 'Line' it stops..

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The link on your picture should be a capacitor, according to this drawing from the manual:

Pioneer_link_capacitor.png

When there is a link in place of a capacitor, the DC voltage will be influenced.

Bertus

Jace Overend

Joined May 18, 2018
It looks like a not very professional repair but if it was working previously with that in there then it isn't the cause of the problrm.
I've never actually seen the mixer working correctly Albert, it came to me like this. Apologies I didn't state this before. With it being on the DSP board would that not directly have some effect on the sound?

Jace Overend

Joined May 18, 2018
Channels 2, 3, and 4. (Channel 1 is only Line/Digital). To me (I could be extremely wrong here, as I don't know enough about this stuff) It's like there is a phono pre amp that is active on those three channels or whatever supply's them and that is blown, as I find it very hard to believe that all three channels have exactly the same blown component. I hope I make sense here haha. Cheers