Pinout help - Telecom power supply

kid_rock

Joined Dec 21, 2013
Hi!

I got access to a Nortel/Cherokee Europe 48v, 600w DC power supply (PE2114/26)

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for the connection diagram?

Here is the back - it's a 16*3 connector

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I am sure you will find that the 48 volt output is available on several pins, and the ground will be also. The unit is putting out over 10 amps. One small connector pin would not be used to carry such a large current load.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
DO NOT POWER ON the unit while examining the circuit board. You are merely going to observe the copper traces and try to determine what pins are outputs(ground or voltage). The traces should be large and should be connected to a plurality of pins. They should also be connected to a leg of a large transistor(or other output device) which will surely be attached to a substantial sized heat sink.

When you have mapped these pins and determined their physical position within the connector body, re-assemble the unit and using a multi-meter, probe the pins 'carefully' to find which ones are ground and which are voltage. Be aware that most telecom equipment operates on a NEGATIVE 48 volt power supply.

kid_rock

Joined Dec 21, 2013
DO NOT POWER ON the unit while examining the circuit board. You are merely going to observe the copper traces and try to determine what pins are outputs(ground or voltage). The traces should be large and should be connected to a plurality of pins. They should also be connected to a leg of a large transistor(or other output device) which will surely be attached to a substantial sized heat sink.

When you have mapped these pins and determined their physical position within the connector body, re-assemble the unit and using a multi-meter, probe the pins 'carefully' to find which ones are ground and which are voltage. Be aware that most telecom equipment operates on a NEGATIVE 48 volt power supply.
I opened it up and had a look see, you are right..
Ground is connected to 3 pins in each row, similar for live and neutral.

Out put is on 6 pins for +ve and 6 pins for -ve.

TvD

Joined Feb 19, 2014
I have two the same power supply, one is working fine When connected to
I only connected AC between rows 28 and 24 and a load between rows 8, 6 (positive out) and rows 4, 2 ( negative out) to the output
Unfortunate, the other briefly starts up, and then go's down. I'll have to investigate that one further.

Last edited: