Piezoelectricity generator for mobile charging

So Man Kit

Joined Sep 1, 2016
Hi, I did a lot of research about the charging technic using piezoelectic energy from vibration. However, I need to do a project of it and I do not know how I can choose a suitable piezoelectic element for the project and design the protection circuit of it.

Expected type of piezoelectric element : polymer(because I want to scavenge the vibration energy.)
Circuit design : Can I use other IC such as liner regulator or Battery management IC for the project?

So Man Kit

Joined Sep 1, 2016
Would you suggest me to buy a piezoelectic produc from other companies such as Sparkfun? And then give a deep development of it?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
What is the vibration source? Unless it is a high power one I think you'll be disappointed as to how long it would take to charge a phone battery. Start by finding out the vibration power and doing the maths.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Do some reading on their application and overall energy outputs.

You will likely change your mind rather quickly when you see you would need a piezoelectric element the size of king size bedsheet flying like a flag in a 30 MPH wind to generate enough power to charge a typical cell phone at a reasonable rate. :(

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
This reminds me of the Self-Winding watches of several decades ago. What a convenience, we thought, but of course you had to rotate you wrist continuously for a minute or two every day. Where are the self-winding watches today?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The watches have made a comeback, especially refurb older models, and several men's gifts catalogs have watch-winding stands. You put your watch on it at night, and it is fully wound in the morning. Variable speed of oscillation, timer to prevent over-winding, larger models to wind several watches at once, $$$.

ak

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi, I did a lot of research about the charging technic using piezoelectic energy from vibration. However, I need to do a project of it and I do not know how I can choose a suitable piezoelectic element for the project and design the protection circuit of it.

Expected type of piezoelectric element : polymer(because I want to scavenge the vibration energy.)
Circuit design : Can I use other IC such as liner regulator or Battery management IC for the project?
One UK supermarket was going on about energy harvesting by paving their car park with piezo tiles.

AFAIK: the idea sank without trace - I never heard anymore about it.

There is such thing as a piezo transformer - but I think its more of a signal thing for high voltage isolation. There are various such devices like opto-couplers with the LED & PD separated by a length of fibre-optic cable.

There may be piezo transformers to isolate and supply LP devices, but charging a mobile could take a while.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
This reminds me of the Self-Winding watches of several decades ago. What a convenience, we thought, but of course you had to rotate you wrist continuously for a minute or two every day. Where are the self-winding watches today?
I had one as a kid and if a person carried on in a normal level of activity in a day the thing worked great. However for a person who sat on their butt all the time they were known to be pretty useless. (likely much like the wearer)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
One UK supermarket was going on about energy harvesting by paving their car park with piezo tiles.
AFAIK: the idea sank without trace - I never heard anymore about it.
A couple of years ago there were stories about piezo generators under the floor of the entrance to a shopping mall. Again, no mention since, but that seemed like a more reasonable starting point.

ak