Piezo LED Stripe Trigger

BoLLo

Joined Jan 9, 2018
Hello,
I want to build a LED Stripe trigger (using a Piezo) for my drumset.
I´m researching in this topic for quiet a while now, but i´m new to this whole microelectronics stuff, and everything i found wasn´t that what i needed, or i couldn´t understand it (i also know there are some simmular posts to this one in the forum, but like is said i couldnt understad it), so i would be grateful if you could explain/help me in a very "basic" way :)

The project:
I want to build a LED Trigger for my drums, which lights up the drum each time i hit it, but i also want to use 3 potentiometers to control the color, sensitivity and the duration the led is lighting up, and there is my problem. i dont know how to set up everything. So i would need a parts list or something (even for resistors, mosfets, capacitors etc...) and a basic, or easy to understand scematic, so i can wire all that stuff together.

I already bought:
a LED strip (WS2812B) with 60LED´s/m and 1meter length
an Arduino UNO R3
a Piezo, used in E-Drum Triggers (EPZ-27MS44W)
and a Breadboard

so still need some jumpercables, resistors, potentiometers and the things i dont know about, like capacitors or something :´)

I also want to use a battery (or Powerbank or something ), to make everything portable, and as small as possible, so i can put the controller on the side of my snaredrum.

It would be awesome if you guys could help me out :)

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
For a start, have you set up the Arduino to drive the LED strip?
Have a look at...
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide/arduino-library-use
and...
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/guide-for-ws2812b-addressable-rgb-led-strip-with-arduino/
You will need a fairly decent power supply for 60 LEDs.
You could start with a short strip of 8 or 10 to get going.
Let us know when you have got sole LEDs running and we can help further if needed.
If you are just starting with the Arduino, there are many sites to help with that too. The "Random Nurd" has lots of stuff.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello,
I want to build a LED Stripe trigger (using a Piezo) for my drumset.
I´m researching in this topic for quiet a while now, but i´m new to this whole microelectronics stuff, and everything i found wasn´t that what i needed, or i couldn´t understand it (i also know there are some simmular posts to this one in the forum, but like is said i couldnt understad it), so i would be grateful if you could explain/help me in a very "basic" way :)

The project:
I want to build a LED Trigger for my drums, which lights up the drum each time i hit it, but i also want to use 3 potentiometers to control the color, sensitivity and the duration the led is lighting up, and there is my problem. i dont know how to set up everything. So i would need a parts list or something (even for resistors, mosfets, capacitors etc...) and a basic, or easy to understand scematic, so i can wire all that stuff together.

I already bought:
a LED strip (WS2812B) with 60LED´s/m and 1meter length
an Arduino UNO R3
a Piezo, used in E-Drum Triggers (EPZ-27MS44W)
and a Breadboard

so still need some jumpercables, resistors, potentiometers and the things i dont know about, like capacitors or something :´)

I also want to use a battery (or Powerbank or something ), to make everything portable, and as small as possible, so i can put the controller on the side of my snaredrum.

It would be awesome if you guys could help me out :)

So you bought a bunch of parts but have no idea how to hook everything up? Seems like you got that backwards.
You might try a site like Instructables. It would not surprise me if there is a project simlar to what you want on that site.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
WS2812B are cool there easy to use. Here you something to start with.
The power supply needs to be 1 amp at 5 volt you can hook that to the VIN pin on the arduino.
Use it for both Leds and Uno.
Screenshot from 2018-01-13 04-33-38.png
Make sure you use the 1000 uf across the WS2812B power VDD and Ground.
And don't forget the resistor can help prevent voltage spikes that might otherwise damage your first WS2812B first led really fast.

Last edited: