PICKit Solderless Breadboard Adapter

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Here is an simple adapter I made to connect a PICKit programmer to a solderless breadboard. The photo is probably self-explanatory, but in case it's not, the adapter consists of a a small piece of perfboard, a six-pin straight header, and a six-pin right angle header. Each pin is connected to its counterpart by a trace on the back side of the board.

Attachments

Last edited:

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I like a 6 pin male connector and wires about 12 inches long with pins on them saves a step no jumpers needed.

And if you just want to flash some chips on the bread board it just a matter of plugging the right pins and flashing the PIC. Witch is faster then them Zif sockets to me time you place the chip set jumpers I'm done with two chips.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

Strip 6 pins from an IC socket like this. Then solder some flexible cable to them. It is an good idea to use the same color as used on the resistors. Pin 1 brown cable and so on. Use heat-shrink tubing on the thick part to isolate. I use this the for bread boarding very flexible. On the PICKIT end just use some dil header that fits. Remember that PICKITs do not like very long cables

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I like a 6 pin male connector and wires about 12 inches long with pins on them saves a step no jumpers needed.

And if you just want to flash some chips on the bread board it just a matter of plugging the right pins and flashing the PIC. Witch is faster then them Zif sockets to me time you place the chip set jumpers I'm done with two chips.
Strip 6 pins from an IC socket like this. Then solder some flexible cable to them. It is an good idea to use the same color as used on the resistors. Pin 1 brown cable and so on. Use heat-shrink tubing on the thick part to isolate. I use this the for bread boarding very flexible. On the PICKIT end just use some dil header that fits. Remember that PICKITs do not like very long cables
You talked me into it.

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I do as MrChips does, sorry no part number as they come straight (well, right angle straight) from my parts boxes. Mine happen to be a double row so I cut them in half, get two parts for one if I saw them carefully.

I also don't like solderless breadboards. I use the cheapo ones available at Radio Shack for breadboard or the better ones from Vector when it's going to be used for a longer time. They get stored and years later can be brought out and worked on further. But then, I prefer SMD parts as leads just get in the way.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Has your PICKit Solderless Breadboard Adapter worked OK for you?
The first one I made (with the two sets of header pins on a piece of perfboard) worked fine. However, the second one (with a male plug and six wires) didn't work well. I found that the pins on the end of the wires were too short to stay in the solderless breadboard connectors. I am going to remove them and replace them with something else...maybe individual .025' header pins.