PICkit 4 now available

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Raymond Genovese, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Raymond Genovese

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2016
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Looking forward to the latest Dave Jones rant!!:eek:
    Max.

Travm likes this.
  3. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Yeah, got email from microchip today.
    Like Max, I can not wait for Dave to take it apart.

Travm likes this.
  4. Travm

Aug 16, 2016
    +1 for Dave, guy's an animal.
    Whoever comes across it first should link it to this thread so we can all share the Aussie excellence.

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I particularly liked the Microchip Utube response in their 'The Office' take off skit reply.
    Max.

DickCappels, Travm and nsaspook like this.
  6. Travm

Aug 16, 2016
    Yeah that was also excellent.

7. Raymond Genovese

Mar 5, 2016
    Well, I ordered one today. They have a 20% off deal going on and I am tired of messing around with my finicky pickit3 (clone?).

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I guess it is bye bye for using MPLAB-IDE with it, too bad they don't make thier stuff downward compatible.
    As the video by Dave outlined.
    Max.

9. Raymond Genovese

Mar 5, 2016
    I have been using MPLAB X IDE for a while and I actually like it quite a bit (v5.10). I have started to focus on pic32 (using XC32 v2.10). This is not a trivial effort, at least to me. If you think that going through an 8 bit data sheet is daunting (not saying that you do) try a much larger family data sheet and then another 15-20 very large and specific data sheets for all of the functions/categories.

I reached a decision that I would do what they (Microchip) want because, in my view it is easiest and best until I get to a point where I can see otherwise. IOW I am trying to look forward.

That also means deciding not to use any legacy peripheral libraries. They even issue a warning that they will likely be dropped in future xc32 versions. That means getting into the Harmony libraries. That does not mean, however, getting into Harmony projects. I wanted to stick to the CCI (Common C Interface) but I simply can't adhere to the no no sub-directories rule in the header specification. Once I am far along in my understanding and familiarity, I will go back and simply use correct paths. But, right now, I run into so many dependencies the paths get too funky. Again, give me some time.

Of course I am not happy about the price for an optimized xc32, but it is only a hope that it becomes a problem some day. In fact, taken together, all the compilers, the IDE, the assemblers...all free, it's pretty awesome.

Anyways, that's my story and I am sticking to it :)

nsaspook likes this.
  10. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    When you get to the point where you can see otherwise there is always the MIPS toolchain if you want 'Bare Metal'.
    31846176947_a86dd21b6a_b.jpg
    https://evosyn.com/pic32img.html
    "Codescape GNU Tools for MIPS - MTI".

JohnInTX and Raymond Genovese like this.