pickit 2 not detecting pic16f877a?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
That is not a PICkit 2. It comes with its own software CD according to the web page.

You can't seriously think that we believe you do not know what MPLAB is...

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I've been using a Pickit 2 clone (purchased from an Asian vendor via eBay) for years, and within its limitations, it works fine. The limitations being that it won't work with newer devices. I hate MPlab, so I use the Pickit with freestanding software, which unfortunately Microchip no longer seems to have available. You can read about that situation here, and maybe get the software from a source outside Microchip:
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m775322.aspx#775345

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I've been using a Pickit 2 clone (purchased from an Asian vendor via eBay) for years, and within its limitations, it works fine. The limitations being that it won't work with newer devices. I hate MPlab, so I use the Pickit with freestanding software, which unfortunately Microchip no longer seems to have available. You can read about that situation here, and maybe get the software from a source outside Microchip:
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m775322.aspx#775345
Not all clones are created equal. That is why it is best to just buy the real thing. Plus no where does it way the device in the TS's link is a clone at all. It includes a software CD presumably with its own custom software.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
That appears to be a Microchip PICkit 3, if it is a legitimate reseller.

Should be good for any Microchip PIC in current production.

embedded29

Joined Apr 8, 2017
PICKIT3 USB PIC PROGRAMMER/DEBUGGER

robokits website say pickit 3 is both same??

Mod edit: stop shouting.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
PICKIT3 USB PIC PROGRAMMER/DEBUGGER

robokits website say pickit 3 is both same??

Mod edit: stop shouting.
Both the same as what? The picture is of a Microchip PICkit 3. A PICkit 3 will program AND debug. You can buy a genuine one for Rs 3073 ($47.95 US) at:
http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=PG164130
If you have further questions about the one from robokits, you should be contacting them, not us. If you click DATASHEET on the robokits web page, you get the official Microchip datasheet for the PICkit 3. That pretty much is all there is to know.

You should know that the PIC16F877A is an old chip with minimal debugging capabilities, even with a PICkit 3. The debugging consumes some hardware resources. There is only 1 hardware breakpoint. Software breakpoints are not supported so debugging is very limited.

Later chips, especially the 16F1xxx Enhanced Midrange have much better debugging features AND are cheaper.

Last edited:

embedded29

Joined Apr 8, 2017
16F1xxx
pic16f1503
this will be fine ?

how i will get in india will they will charge more??

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
16F1xxx
pic16f1503
this will be fine ?
Well.... that depends on what you are going to be doing with it. One small difference is that the '877A has 40 pins and the '1503 has 14.

Also, if you look under DEVELOPMENT TOOLS on the product page, you'll see that because of the low pin count, you need an additional Debug Header plus the PK3 to debug it. Chips with more pins and memory can use just the PK3 for debug. But the PK3 will program the chip without the additional header.