PIC16F676 homemade programmer

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
So, I actually found some good schematics for PIC programmers, but they won`t match this particular model. :mad: I would appreciate if you can show me some good circuit for PIC16F676 programmer that is not too hard to build.

Thank you very much! :)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I just made a programmer that could work with the PIC16F676. The method to program these is similar to what I used. The programmer is also PIC based, so I used the ICD3 to program it. During the debugging phase (as I designed & built the hardware & wrote the software from scratch) I would use a PICkit 2 to verify what was going on with the target (part being programmed).

If you follow that, you'll already need at least one programmer to make another. It's a chicken and the egg problem.

I do NOT now or ever recommend building your own programmer. Programmers are cheap enough direct from Microchip and will also give you the ability to do in circuit debugging on PICs with that ability, as most of them do.

What you save on buying a clone isn't worth it. I see people using something called a "JDM programmer" or such. This POS lacks the ability to do debugging.

imperatormk

Joined Mar 1, 2011
And yes, I forgot to mention that I am a beginner on this topic, so I didn`t understand really well what should I do here...

Can you help me to build the schematic?

Thank you!

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
OK, let me make my advice crystal clear: Do not make a programmer, do not buy a clone.
Go and by a PICkit.
One thing lost in the buy a clone/roll your own mantra is that frequently those gadgets are not kept up to date. Sometimes, a small move in P/N e.g. 16Fxxx to 16FxxxA means a different programming spec. You also may want to migrate to a new PIC (better, cheaper etc). With a uCHIP programmer, updates are ready when the chip is. Not so much with some 3rd party stuff I've seen over the years.

PK2/PK3 are exceptional values. If you have a passion to make a programmer to see what that's all about, have at it. You can download 'Programming Specifications' for all of the PICs. And I mean ALL of the DIFFERENT PICs if you get my drift. However, if you want to get on with developing your next great idea, spend a few $$ now. It will be well worth it.

Don't have a few $$? Well, as we say in Texas, hock sumptin' Seriously though, sooner or later, you'll need good tools to do good work. Why not start now?