Pic Game

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I had a ton of fun using a graphic screen just like that one with a touch screen overlay. Used it on a test fixture to control a ton of parameters thru menu choices, replacing a ton of thumb switches on the previous version. All driven off a PIC184550.

OK, it took a lot of time (so don't tell my boss) but hey, I was on the clock. <grin>

I've since abandoned the graphic library I developed as the color screens are comparable in price, and Microchip's graphic library works just fine. I also upgraded the controller so I can add in USB and SD cards and still have lots of room for the useful stuff.

Here's an intermediate version. The side board is an 18F4550 driving an IEEE-488 bus to talk to an HP DVM:

Attachments

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
I had a ton of fun using a graphic screen just like that one with a touch screen overlay.
That display is massive :D

I've committed to working on a dspic based web server since it's gifted hardware,
and I was able to put back into the same project before.
I'm not sure that is the device to receive a full on double buffered graphics display :D

I would like to see if that's possible.. I don't know if it's asking a lot of pic
RAM to duplicate a 320x240x3 colour component frame in the chips' RAM
for the drawing buffer.
When we are discussing a 24x17 mono display the answer is yes :)

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Wow that's impressive! Art
I have a bit of an objective to become proficient with micros and
the iPhone simultaneously.
I've never been able to do it, not with the Sony PSP either.
Just for the iPhone app in C, I was using BASIC's comment delimiter,
and some IF... THEN branches that stop the C compiler.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Humm but looks like you already have some good skills...:)

Trying to do the same but still have a very long way to go...but will eventually get there one day!;)

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
It turns out you can write to the entire 2x16 display
not just a quater of the screen.
Everyone who's done this in the last ten years will kick themselves.