PIC Breadboard Adapter

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have made some up with the Olimex products, replaced the socket with a ZIF.
e.g. ebay 270965724940
Free P/P from UK.
I also have a couple of versions of PicDem 2 Plus.
Max.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Now that I see the schematic I must add that I hate D1 being there: you are guaranteeing the PIC runs at much less then the voltage it is supplied.

An active device FET reverse blocking switch gives essentially a zero volt drop and provides similar protection.

Your design and assembly workmanship does look first rate.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Now that I see the schematic I must add that I hate D1 being there: you are guaranteeing the PIC runs at much less then the voltage it is supplied.

An active device FET reverse blocking switch gives essentially a zero volt drop and provides similar protection.

Your design and assembly workmanship does look first rate.
Thank you for your comments. I agree that even the small drop across the Schottky diode can cause confusion with ADC functions. I had considered adding a set of shorting pins around D1, but decided that those who do not want it can always short it out (or replace it) with a wire jumper. I will look into the FET option for a future revision.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Here's one way to do a reverse bias FET:

I'm using this on a current project, PIC running off 3 AA's that whaps out a few hundred milli amps for a few microseconds 3 times a second. I need a low drop and reverse protection from fools inserting batteries backwards. Has been checked out to work.

I would not use this for anyrthing above say 10V as there is no gate limit for voltage: you may use it for higher voltages if one add such a limit (zener).

Please do let us know how your sales go. I have more then an idle curiosity.

Attachments