Photovoltaic Amp reducer by increasing voltage?

Hugofilipe

Joined Aug 3, 2022
I have access to some high amperage, low voltage solar panels (17A peak), however my inverter is limited at 12.5A.

Connecting them would result on a limited output and maybe a stress on the inverter by working at 12.5 most of the time.

The question I got is if there is a simple and safe way to get that voltage around 100v DC and bump it up to something like 200v and therefore reducing it's amperage?

This appears simple on paper for me, but I'm quite sure its harder than it looks.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The current draw from your solar panels will be determined by the load and only limited by the pane's ability. If your inverter doesn't need more than 12.5 A it will not draw more than that.

Hugofilipe

Joined Aug 3, 2022
You say low voltage solar panels, what is the voltage.?
They are relatively low voltage. Each panel produces around 30v, however the goal is not to convert each panel power but the whole string. I can control the total string voltage by adding or removing panels, what I cannot change is its current.

My goal is to get the power of a string, lets say 150v at 17A, and convert it to 250v or 300v, in order to be within the current rating of the inverter.

Hugofilipe

Joined Aug 3, 2022
The current draw from your solar panels will be determined by the load and only limited by the pane's ability. If your inverter doesn't need more than 12.5 A it will not draw more than that.
Thanks for your reply, my goal is to 'squeeze' the panel power into the inverter Amp rating so I can benefit of its full power. These 550w panels will deliver something like 300w when limited to 12.5A.
If I could somehow increase the string voltage by reducing the current, I would get its full power. Is this correct?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I don't know about full power but I think you have the right idea. For a given current, the higher the voltage the greater the power.