photoreciever design

Ashish05280

Joined Mar 18, 2017
hy,
i wan to make a 5 Mbps digital photoreciever for white light, i bought bpw34 as photodiode but i am no able to get an output for higher freqencies, the circuit which i made works for nearly 50 khz but after that i doesn't. can some body suggest any thing.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
hy,
i wan to make a 5 Mbps digital photoreciever for white light, i bought bpw34 as photodiode but i am no able to get an output for higher freqencies, the circuit which i made works for nearly 50 khz but after that i doesn't. can some body suggest any thing.
Opto devices are notoriously slow - it might still be possible to obtain fiber optic discrete PD components.

Photo current is very small - that means large resistances and vulnerability to parasitic capacitance.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The accepted approach is to connect the photodoide to the input of a transimpedance amplifier.

upload_2017-3-20_18-5-21.png

The bpw34's high capacitance will increase noise and make 5 MHz harder to reach, so use the maximum reverse bias available to you.

What is your current circuit?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The accepted approach is to connect the photodoide to the input of a transimpedance amplifier.

View attachment 122861

The bpw34's high capacitance will increase noise and make 5 MHz harder to reach, so use the maximum reverse bias available to you.

What is your current circuit?
AFAICR: The BPW34 was a popular device in TV remote front panel units - I'm sure there must be faster devices out there.

Hamamatsu is a good place to look, even if you don't intend ordering their parts. They have a decent selection of application notes and example circuits - and most likely; advice on optimising frequency response.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
hy,
Are the photodiode and receiver coupled through a fiber-optic cable or is the receiver exposed to room light. If the receiver sees room light then using white light will make your problem a lot harder since ambient light can not be easily filtered your of your signal.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I have never thought about what type of photo detectors are used for high frequencies so I thought looking for a schematic of a GBIC (Used for fibre optic communications to convert from electrical signals to optical signals.) might give some information. I could not find a schematic but I found that some use avalanche photodiodes so that information may help the TS to find a suitable device.

Les.