Photo interrupter advice needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Phil Russell, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Phil Russell

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Hello, I wonder if someone can offer advice regarding a photo interrupter:
    It is part of a small circuit board on a mini lathe that provides a spindle speed readout. The component has the following codes: H12A5 ICI on the circuit board near the component and GK 105 moulded on the component itself. The gap is 5mm (as far as I can measure) and the component is a 4 pin one.
    I have been trying to find a replacement for this component but despite trawling the web have found no information. I am no electronics expert so can provide no data on voltages etc, sorry.
    Is there a list of 'equivalents' anywhere that would allow me to get a replacement component to fit? I am quite able to remove / replace components on a board. Why do I need a new component? I suspect the old one has broken as the casing seems loose on the pins.
    All help would be appreciated.
    Regards

Phil

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  3. Phil Russell

Dec 21, 2014
    Hi Max, thank you for your response, it is appreciated. But I am confused.
    Are you saying that a TCST1103 will be a direct replacement for the H12A5?
    I looked up the 1103 and it says '3.1'mm which I assume is the gap between the component arms? If so, the H12A5 has about a 5mm gap and I would be concerned that the 3.1mm is a tad too narrow for the spinning disc on the rotating spindle.
    Sorry for being so ignorant but I am not an electronics expert.
    Cheers, Phil

4. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    I suggest visiting the NEWARK electronics website, and also the DIGIKEY websites and looking at interrupters in the optical devices section. What that will do is give you a bit of information about what variables are specified and how the devices are described. You may not find a suitable replacement, although there are a lot of different beam interruption devices on those sites. I am suggesting them primarily for the educational value. Cheap and easy learning in a convenient format.

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    For 5mm slot the Digikey link I sent shows OR518 or OR627.
    Just for a couple.
    Max.

6. Phil Russell

Dec 21, 2014
    Once again, thank you Max for your patience. I am now wondering if I have been looking too hard and maybe if I match all the physical characteristics e.g. gap width, pin spacing etc I might get a decent match. Certainly the ones you just mentioned look the same in the picture. I have no idea of the voltages present etc but guess it is worth a try ...
    Once again, thank you all for your help, I appreciate being educated.
    Cheers, Phil

7. AnalogKid

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 1, 2013
    PHOTO of the part you are discussing?

ak

8. Phil Russell

Dec 21, 2014
    Sorry, no photo but the component looks like the OR518 / EESX1042 that Max suggested.
    Component width 12mm x 6mm x 10mm high, gap 5mm wide x 8mm deep, 4 pin at 10mm x 3mm centres.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Phil

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    They are not usually all that different between types and unless there are significant problems, the slot width doesn't usually make alot of difference.
    Post the one you are thinking of subbing and we can check for any significant differences.
    There is normally a resistor for the LED, typically 100 ohms and a pull up resistor on the transistor output, 10K typical.
    Max.

10. Phil Russell

Dec 21, 2014
    Update and Thank You.
    Thank you all for your advice and apologies for taking so long to reply. I accumulated all necessary bits including an OR 518 (aka EE-SX1042) and built up the new circuit (if I can call it that) this afternoon. Hey presto ... all working as it should.
    So ... many thanks for the help and advice you all gave. I have learnt a lot about these little components while doing this and am very pleased that I sought your help.
    Kind regards
    Phil

KJ6EAD and MaxHeadRoom like this.