Phantom Traffic Jams

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Phantom traffic jams are caused by fast drivers as much as slow drivers.
Faster moving cars send the wrong message to all traffic following and cause drivers to hit their brakes when they encounter slower traffic up ahead.

The problem is solved by providing elasticity into the system, i.e. leave at least 3 seconds of space between you and the car ahead of you. Drive no faster than the car ahead of you unless you intentionally want to overtake (presumably you have already changed lanes or about to change lanes).

If all cars moved at the same speed with ample space to accommodate lane changes and merging traffic there would be fewer traffiic jams and collisions.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Phantom traffic jams are caused by fast drivers as much as slow drivers.
Faster moving cars send the wrong message to all traffic following and cause drivers to hit their brakes when they encounter slower traffic up ahead.

The problem is solved by providing elasticity into the system, i.e. leave at least 3 seconds of space between you and the car ahead of you. Drive no faster than the car ahead of you unless you intentionally want to overtake (presumably you have already changed lanes or about to change lanes).

If all cars moved at the same speed with ample space to accommodate lane changes and merging traffic there would be fewer traffiic jams and collisions.
At just 60 mph, that is 88 yards (264 feet) and is quite unlikely during rush hours in any American city.

Hidden police cars/speed traps are one cause of unexpected braking. The effect is easily seen. For example, anyone driving inbound on I-495 from West of the airport in Cleveland expects police at just 2 locations and the traffic pattern reflects it. In some cities, they stay off the inbound highways during morning rush hour.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It is all about data throughput. You cannot channel 19200 baud data into 9600 baud channel and not have a log jam.

The goal is to keep traffic flowing at the same speed, regardless of the speed attained. That is why you need elasticity.

ACC will work eventually. It is the human driven car that is going to screw up things.

MeSat

Joined May 16, 2019
Driving about 100km a day, humans are a pain to traffic. The biggest issue I have seen in the many years is rushing between traffic lights. I have lost count the number of times I have seen people speed between traffic lights only to be stuck at the next one where I catch up and in some cases pass them until they speed past me again. In many cases, I get straight green lights the whole way.

Until all vehicles are doing the same speed, then there will be traffic jams.

I remember a presentation I went to regarding a new intersection and the first question I raised was about traffic backing up into the other intersection. These lights were close.

The engineers used a nice computer model to demonstrate that it wouldn't happen. First day the lights were opened, there was a backup into the other intersection stopping other traffic. Years of tweaking light timings and sensors and they are now down to one or two situations a day. People just hate to follow rules.