Permanent Magnet Generator - DC

engineer20033

Joined Apr 9, 2015
Dear Experts,

I am building a vertical wind turbine, and I am searching for an European manufacturer for a DC permanent magnet generator, the rated power should be (5KW to 10 KW) at 100 rpm, so is there any one knows where to buy it?
Note: it should be manufactured in Europe.

Best Regards,

engineer20033

Joined Apr 9, 2015
If we talked about weight, so it should not be more than 450 Kg... but all what we are searching for is a DC Permanent magnet generator, 5 KW or 10 KW output power at 100 rpm... regardless the weight or the size because we can adjust the whole design according to the available generator... we really spent 1 month searching for such generator in Europe and we failed, so I really appreciate any help in this.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
To get even 5kW from a vertical-axis turbine will require something more than a 'small' turbine IMO, unless the turbine can be mounted high above ground level, bearing in mind the vertical wind shear.
The Windspire VAWT, for example, which is rated at 1.2kW, has a 20ft high 4ft diameter rotor (according to this article). So you'd be looking at a rotor swept area ~ 4 times as big.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I am building a vertical wind turbine
...the rated power should be (5KW to 10 KW) at 100 rpm
...it should be small vertical wind turbine
I think a trip to the drawing board is in order. Getting 5-10kW out of a "small" VAWT would require massive wind speeds.

Of course one person's "small" might be another's "huge". Such words are not very useful to an engineer.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
When dealing with low speed high torque power sources it is inevitably more cost effective to use a gearbox to bring the low speed high torque power up to a higher speed lower torque equivalent.

Now that said the most common argument I get against that is that the wind turbine blades only have so much power available so adding a gearbox will eat up some of that. I however have always looked at it as the power source is free so just make the blade system larger to make up for the gearbox losses or just derate your output capacity a bit.

dxTime

Joined Apr 14, 2015
Now ultimately all of you generous replies lie a great distance away from the actual question.
Which is where in Europe can I buy a magnet generator with rated power of 5kW - 10 kW at 100 rpm?
He is talking about a prototype of some sort so although all of your points are valid what he might have a revolution in the form of 80% efficiency.
My suggestion look at ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...TRS0&_nkw=permenent+magnet+generator&_sacat=0

dxTime

Joined Apr 14, 2015
A wise cat ones said
Garfield said:
If you are patient...and wait long enough...Nothing will happen!
I've no time to look through all of Google and other such directories to find a viable option should there be even one. With nothing more to contribute I wish you success!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Something like this? Even if that model is too low power or unavailable in Europe, the vendor may be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
a freind of mine built a vertical turbine, Savonius(sp?) type from split barerels. he used a truck differential at the bottom to get a higher rpm, and used it to power a rock tumbler. advantages of a vertical are that they dont have to turn into the wind, and properly designed are self limiting in high winds. one advantage for the diferential was that you could use the brake on the other axel to turn on and off the axel you were using.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm with the other posters here. I don't see a solution where gearing up the rpm is not the more effective approach. You might be able to find or build the "perfect" low-rpm generator, but it will cost so much more in weight and so on, that it can't possibly compete with a simple gearbox combined with a smaller, higher-rpm generator. The small efficiency loss of a gearbox can easily be made up with larger vanes, so that the overall solution is far more effective.

engineer20033

Joined Apr 9, 2015
Thank you all for the advise, it seems that using the DC generator was a dummy idea, so we will go to AC generator with inverter, but the problem is that we are not sure how to control the AC generator with the inverter. Does any one have any idea?