Permament Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG)

JulesP

Joined Dec 7, 2018
I am exploring the use of a Permament Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG) to harness some wind power and wanted to understand better the options for their output.

From what I have learnt, if you drive the input shaft at the synchronous speed then you should derive a 50Hz ac sine wave output and yet many of these are sold as 12/24V DC output devices. (E.g: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ADq3fUBPl )

Presumably there is some form of rectifier inside used on the basis that many will simply want to feed the dc output into an inverter to run their appliances off. Also perhaps, as the input rpm may change, the inverter option results in a frequency stable ac supply.

From an efficiency point of view it may be better to take the basic ac from the PMSG to use directly for ones appliances so I wanted to ask if one can get similar sized PMSGs with a direct 50Hz ac output of say 1-2kW?

Thanks

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That "generator" is probably just a BLDC motor, since they when driven by an outside force will make 3phase AC. The output varies from 12V to 24V depending on the speed put on the shaft, and it would need to be rectified and the regulated to the DC volts you need.

I can't imagine anything like that giving 50Hz output without some other inverter type, device in the system, that and a battery bank for when the wind isn't blowing.