people search / information databases ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Does anybody know how sites like these get your information like name , address's lived at , age ,...etc
http://www.peoplefinders.com/
http://www.usa-people-search.com/

The DMV say's they don't give info out to anybody
And I have a friend that is a police officer and he said they can only lookup the info not modify or give out the info in the DMV and courts.
I have another relative that works in the hospital and say's medical records cann't be given out and are kept private.

I don't believe Social security agencies can give out this info either.

I don't vote or take the census so the only people I narrow it down to is post office , or rent/estate/insurance companies or credit card companies.

Maybe it is the town hall or post office whoever makes the yearly phone books maybe but this is my best guess.

Could even be from IRS tax records but I don't think they give out info and I think they keep info private.
Even so I was in these "people search" databases when I was in high school or college if I remember correctly and that would be before I had a credit card or paid tax's.

Curious if anybody knows how they get all this info on a person in the US.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Can't speak for these particular ones, but I do know some sites get information from it's users. For example, some of the "family tree" sites have a long information entry for anyone who wants to search for relatives. All the informaiton entered by the user becomes part of the database. Pretty cool, eh? get your customers to provide their own product. Now why didn't I think of that?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I also think that banks, telephone companies, even pizza stores can sell any data collected concerning you to advertizing companies or elsewhere.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
If that is true Georacer than how does these people search sites have your previous address's / phone numbers , age . criminal , background check ,..etc
I never give out this much information to anybody ?

Also what are companies like telephone company , post office , websites ,...etc allowed to give out. Wouldn't it just be name , age , address , email address , phone number....
If so then why does these sites have a **** ton of other info on a person?

Tell me their not giving out SSN , medical , criminal and other private info... I would think that would be illegal.

I know when I move I have to fill out (change of address) / notify all the companies like post office , DMV , ...etc separately
since their is no universal way to notify all the companies at the same time. I would think it would work the same way around
and that the people search databases would have a hard time to piece thru information at all the different companies linked to a person.

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
When supermarkets give you a card to swipe at the store, they build databases on you, which they can sell to anyone they want. I refuse to use those, even if it means I save money. I shop at places that don't reqire them

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
All that info is available for purchase from data miners, and they can get it anywhere, even your local county clerk. Its scary how much info some of these sites have. I was trying to find a girl I had lost contact with. With in 5 minutes. I had a phone number, full name, address, even a picture of her house with her car in front. Freaking scary if I were a hot chick. Datamining is big biz and just because they say they don't give out your info, there are loopholes.We live in a digital age at a time when anythings for sale. I used to do it for a medical company.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
HAHA! I've tried to find information on myself, and am happy to report my information is scarce on the internet. Probably because I don't get suckered in by the schemes that are set up to collect my information.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Detectives can buy licenses, don't know if that is true of all 50 states though.
What do you mean buy licenses... licenses that allow them the authority to get this info from DMV , post office ,...etc
Or your actual license that has your S number ,...etc info on it.

This is pretty stupid info sharing other then the basic name , address age , number
Since any other information like pin , ssn , s number ,...etc should be kept private.
The whole security of the nation hinges on this stuff.
And then US wonders why ID theft is so common.

Not to mention the social networks like facebook,...etc if your not careful with what you put on the internet.

But all things equal I have never really even used credit cards , or internet sites where they have you type in info on where you live ,age ,...etc all that much and before that they had all my address's data of birth...

Medical and criminal is scary if you can get that out on the internet (other then if you where a sex offender that is) I don't think any of this stuff should be out theor for anybody.
And the people involved in giving out this information should go to jail.

Are you saying you worked at a medical place that gave out info?
And super markets on their forms never get info other then name , address , birth day , maybe email address... no previous address's or other stuff...etc so I would be hard pressed from that that people search database could gather all the rest.

What are the legal loop holes involved on making this ok? Any lawyers out their

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Mathematics, do you use any of the so-called "loyalty cards" that you swipe at stores to get a discount? Are you a member of any "gold clubs" or any service that allows you premium service for filling out an application? Anytime you apply for any kind of service, you take a risk of having your information distributed. Just a word to the wise!

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
No

Correct in that information like name , age , current address , maybe email/phone number are given out. ( even when you do a change of address the companies probably just add the new address to the people search database,...etc I see how that works now)

My problem is with the sharing of more personal/private info like distributing ssn , criminal , medical , photo id's.

Their should be no way other then at the hospital to allow only your doctors to see your medical record.
And only law enforcement/courts/lawyers to see your criminal record. (ofcourse in the rare occasion of a sex offender or serial killer / what ever giving info on where he is living and what he did to some extent to protect the families living around him. would be ok... but any other case is usually never ok)

Also I have never done a background check personally on an employ (always had the HR guy do it for me) Curious what info you can get from a background check on an employ...
Do you get if he comitted a crime , criminal records , medical records , what info in general?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
What do you mean buy licenses... licenses that allow them the authority to get this info from DMV , post office ,...etc
Or your actual license that has your S number ,...etc info on it.
You can't buy a PI license. You have to take a class and pass a test.Then pay the fee for your license. But much like concealed weapons permits each states different. But they do have alliances between states. Like a FL weapons permits good in FL, GA, TX , TN and like 4-5 other states.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
And these PI certifications gives them the right to medical , criminal ,...info

That seems to easy anybody smart could pass a test like this.... what is stopping the smart
bad guy from the smart good guy that will keep info confidential?

Also how are they able to get criminal / medical info ?

Question 2
What does a background/criminal check on an employ usually allow you to see about the person?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
And these PI certifications gives them the right to medical , criminal ,...info

That seems to easy anybody smart could pass a test like this.... what is stopping the smart
bad guy from the smart good guy that will keep info confidential?

Also how are they able to get criminal / medical info ?

Question 2
What does a background/criminal check on an employ usually allow you to see about the person?
No a PI license just allows you to legally stalk someone.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm pretty sure of what I speak. Perhaps not in every state, but if you have a license you can pay the fees for the extra. It only pays for the DMV, but still.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yes your right bill, a process server has the same rights. They can get pobox addresses too. There are various gov places PI's and people like process servers have access too. But many of the private data companies have better data for sale for anyone with a license or not. Background checks for everyone is the new big thing. Going on a date, run a background and credit check.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I was also wondering when a job / HR guy runs a background/criminal check.
To what extent of information can they find out .

Like do these background / criminal checks also have your previous address lived at , medical history ,..other info like property owned , phone numbers ,...etc

Just curious on what extent normal background check / criminal checks that HR employees do when hiring a person.

Anybody have an made up example of the structure of these checks and the typical info it can contain

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The banks flagrantly distribute your info, especially if you start falling behind on payments; you will start getting letters for debt consolidation companies who mysteriously know exactly how much you are in debt for, to the dollar. They send out letters ever so often with fine print that basically says "This is the info we give out about you; this is what you can't do about it; and, no, we won't tell you who we give it to" - Here's an example:

I should bank with these guys; the last notice I got had "YES" in every column.

In addition to that, with everything being online these days, a digital paper trail is generated with every account you create, bills you pay, credit cards you sign up for, magazine subscriptions, etc. These "people finder" sites probably find a source of info on you, scan it & extract more info, use that info to search more sources of info, scan & extract from those sources, and then compile it all on one page to appear as if this one website actually knows all this info about you (which now it does).

regarding what's in a background check, from wikipedia:
Possible information included

The amount of information included on a background check depends to a large degree on the sensitivity of the reason for which it is conducted—e.g., somebody seeking employment at a minimum wage job would be subject to far fewer requirements than somebody applying to work for a law enforcement agency such as the FBI or jobs related to national security.
Criminal, arrest, incarceration, and sex offender records
There are several types of criminal record searches available to employers, some more accurate and up to date than others. These "third party" background checking agencies cannot guarantee the accuracy of their information, thus many of them have incomplete records or inaccurate records. The only way to conduct an accurate background check is to go directly through the state. Most times using the state of choice is much cheaper than using a "third party" agency. Many websites offer the "instant" background check, which will search a compilation of databases containing public information for a fee. These “instant” searches originate from a variety of sources, from statewide court and corrections records to law enforcement records which usually stem from county or metro law enforcement offices. There are also other database-type criminal searches, such as statewide repositories and the national crime file. A commonly used criminal search by employers who outsource is the county criminal search.
Citizenship, immigration, or legal working status
The hiring of illegal workers has become an issue for American businesses since the forming of the Department of Homeland Security and its Immigrations and Customs Enforcement(ICE) division. Many history making immigration raids[9] over the past two years have forced employers to consider including legal working status as part of their background screening process. All employers are required to keep government Form I-9 documents on all employees and some states mandate the use of the federal E-Verify program to research the working status of Social Security numbers. With increased concern for right-to-work issues, many outsourcing companies are sprouting in the marketplace to help automate and store Form I-9 documentation. Some jobs are only available to citizens who are residents of that country due to security concerns.
Litigation records
Employers may want to identify potential employees who routinely file discrimination lawsuits. It has also been alleged that in the U.S., employers that do work for the government do not like to hire whistleblowers who have a history of filing qui tam suits.
Driving and vehicle records
Employers that routinely hire drivers or are in the transportation sector seek drivers with clean driving records—i.e., those without a history of accidents or traffic tickets. Department of Motor Vehicles and Department of Transportation records are searched to determine a qualified driver.
Drug tests
Drug tests are used for a variety of reasons—corporate ethics, measuring potential employee performance, and keeping workers' compensation premiums down.
Education records
These are used primarily to see if the potential employee had graduated from high school (or a GED) or received a college degree, graduate degree, or some other accredited university degree. There are reports of SAT scores being requested by employers as well.
Employment records
These usually range from simple verbal confirmations of past employment and timeframe to deeper, such as discussions about performance, activities and accomplishments, and relations with others.
Financial information
Credit scores, liens, civil judgments, bankruptcy, and tax information may be included in the report.
Licensing records
A government authority that has some oversight over professional conduct of its licensees will also maintain records regarding the licensee, such as personal information, education, complaints, investigations, and disciplinary actions.
Medical, Mental, and Physiological evaluation and records
These records are generally not available to consumer reporting agencies, background screening firms, or any other investigators without documented, written consent of the applicant, consumer or employee.
Military records
Although not as common today as it was in the past fifty years, employers frequently requested the specifics of one's military discharge.
Social Security Number
(or equivalent outside the US). A fraudulent SSN may be indicative of identity theft, insufficient citizenship, or concealment of a "past life". Background screening firms usually perform a Social Security trace to determine where the applicant or employee has lived.
Other interpersonal interviews
Employers may investigate past employment to verify position and salary information. More intensive checks can involve interviews with anybody that knew or previously knew the applicant—such as teachers, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and family members; however, extensive hearsay investigations in background checks can expose companies to lawsuits. Past employment and personal reference verifications are moving toward standardization with most companies in order to avoid expensive litigation.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I see so these site piece together info from companies that share your info and their is nothing you can do about it....

So really everybody is traceable.

Unless of course you where to issue a new social security number , name , and birth certificate.... (by fbi or us marshells for wittness protection)
Thus destroying all your credit , work history , medical records , and things you own,...etc.
Because all of that would be with your old ssn , name , ...etc still unless updated.

I see how it all works now (well at least the big picture.)

And changing your social security number is almost impossible for you to do.... you would need some condition where their was a conflict between your ssn and a family member , wittness protection ,..etc so rare that if you asked them they wouldn't probably change it.

As for the background check cool so thats another reason never lie to an HR guy :) They will know your work history already ,...etc

Also I am wondering you mentioned that independent bank usually markets your personal info to other companies. (which I think you should have the right to say you don't want this done under some privacy law)
Is their any banks that are private that you could use that didn't give out your personal info / market it to the world. (perhaps and off shore account if not a private?)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
And it depends on the background check. If they run a proper governement FBI background check yes everything comes out. Even when you got the charges dismissed or were found innocent. Other companies do this for cheaper and have less info.