people search / information databases ?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Is their any banks that are private that you could use that didn't give out your personal info / market it to the world. (perhaps and off shore account if not a private?)
that's why people take out offshore accounts (that, and to avoid being taxed). But it doesn't always work (mitt romney)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
There are as many illegit banks and legit banks. Time was switzerland was where everyone kept their cash. Then they started cracking down, then panama, then same thing. Now its all over the carribean, africa, some parts of asia. Anywhere poor will over look the world banking regulations.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
The laws on public information vary from state to state and from industry to industry. My most recent (as in 8 years ago) job was with a service bureau in Alaska. We had access to quite a bit of data that we weren't allowed to share, and to all kinds of data which we could disseminate (for a fee). Some of this was from motor vehicle records, some from voter registrations, some from collectors of phone numbers. We were aware that there were some service bureaus which didn't care what the laws were, they collected data from every available source and sold it to whomever would pay their fee. If you own property, have a phone, register your vehicle, register your children for school, someone somewhere has a record of it. Try getting by with an unregistered Social Security number if you don't believe me.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I gotcha on all that.

But curious does the fbi have all this info in their own possession of all people?

I.E does every body have an fbi file or only people that commit a federal crime or are employed by the federal government have one?

Like if a person never commited a crime , never went to the doctors all that much ,...etc
would the fbi or local police still keep a blank fbi file for anybody that has a social security number.

But essentially the only good way to track a person quickly is by when/where they access their bank accounts , made phone calls to somebody on a phone registered to them....etc

It would be really difficult to catch somebody that never access these items and never stayed in the same location, and never had any personal ties / contacts.

What I am getting at is an identification to locate somebody is only good if the person uses this info... And to buy stuff this can be circumvented. So in theory if a person wanted to change the way they look and get all his money out of a bank he could truely be untraceable...even though he had all the identity stuff still identifying him.

So in theory their is know identity that links a person to his current location , so in theory their is no way of truely 100% know if you can locate somebody unless they where will to let them selfs be located....(via a GPS chip or something :)

And their is some cases where people are born at home , home schooled , and never got their ssn , birth certificate , but this would be very rare.... and be hard to do much unless you where a genius and wanted to be an entrepreneur :)

But I agree once you start giving info you become more identifiable but not more locatable necessarily

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Sure you could go off the grid, deal only in cash, use a prepaid phone if you're comfortable being destitute. No legitimate job will pay you in cash; they will either give you a payroll check (which you need to cash at a bank, with photo ID) or bank account direct deposit. If you score an illegit job that pays in cash you're going to be working either in a field or on the streets.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Sure you could go off the grid, deal only in cash, use a prepaid phone if you're comfortable being destitute. No legitimate job will pay you in cash; they will either give you a payroll check (which you need to cash at a bank, with photo ID) or bank account direct deposit. If you score an illegit job that pays in cash you're going to be working either in a field or on the streets.
HAHAHHAHAHHAH Not in this economy bud. I know lots of people working off the books completely or partially. I'm not saying all jobs are under the table but its more common now then ever.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
They will either give you a payroll check (which you need to cash at a bank, with photo ID)
Well you can deal only with cash, you could in theory setup only to except cash.
One of my old auto mechanics guys did that , he only excepted cash and he is pretty profitable by many peoples standards to day.
However he still has all his id stuff but never really has to use it when doing business with customers all that much. Only when he has to send away for parts he covenantly uses his cards.

But he has said if he wanted to drive down a few streets he could just pay in cash for most of any parts he needs.

So this is all possible but highly unlikely and could be very in-covenant.

I agree if you where going to work for somebody you would need id's.
But if you are working for your self in some case you wouldn't need id that much.

Anyway I think you guys answered my questions and I get how it all works... pretty much your id's and info is never private but their is still not away with out using id's , bank access times ,..etc to locate a person.
In theory if a person was born never got an ssn , or an id's was home schooled went to work under the table for his family members ,...etc their would be no way to prove he existed or locate him.
I guess that would be the same as a 100 people with id's dieing a million years ago... their would really be no trace of id's left ...etc

So then you have to get into a philosophy argument on what constitutes identity of a person... if it is dna , carbon dateing , ...etc
sure dna can uniquely identify a person 99.9999999999999999% but their would be no meaning to the distinction with out a name ,...etc
Or then you have to get into what constitutes a "meaning to the distinction with out a name".

Anyway cool stuff.

Last edited:

Ratuk29

Joined Jan 22, 2012
The worst thing? They are selling all that info. All those people search sites charge for your personal information to anyone willing to pay. Add Facebook and other social networks and voila, your whole life is exposed to the nighest bidder.

Scary, aint it...

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Another big thing to do for HR or employers is to search your name and email on the web. You think whats the harm in that, well turns out many people have not been hired because they posted all their Call of Duty stats or Wow stuff. Some employers will actually use that crap against you. Thats why I set up numerous emails for different purposes. My real email is gmail, my spam email is yahoo, then I have another email for skype.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
People sign up for facebook and they put their whole life out there for all to read. There was a time when facebook reset your "privacy" setting from private to public when they "upgraded" their site. I don't know if they still do that.

There is public information ... and has been since the invention of the telephone book. Everytime you get some "free" software, you disclose information that the vendor can sell. "Free" things have a cost.

Having multiple email accounts is a good thing. I have two accounts that I would give out to entities that I know will "sell" email info.

"Free" isn't.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Having two e-mails,does e-mails coming from forum,are they addressed to

Joe Jester the forum member,your link do provide F.C.C. test as an officer

of a radio club. The other e-mail you keep private,how has that worked

out for you,any repeat e-mails on both accounts. Can you have key board

e-mail account with home computer and an other with laptop,Is it possible

for home and laptop owners have 2 or more forum names,just asking.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The news papers make it there business to have every one on there data

bases. Now that they don't sell more papers they are inclined to sell your information

or parts of it.They gather all pubic records and when your name come up for any

reason it is highlighted and updated .So over your life time,your little league or any

reason like birth with s.s. number from hospital,now with home land security more

more info go on your record. Credit cards,home depot purchases every thing.

Every time someone solves a math problem your e- mail address poppes up with

the word math.Thing about changing your name to......too many people do math.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Loosewire,

Truth be known, people can contact me various ways. There are "contact us" forms on both websites that go to seperate email accounts on my server. I have a primary email and a secondary email account on my server. I have hotmail, gmail, and yahoo email accounts.

You can bet only the last three are the ones I'd pass for most things when I suspect that the owners sell email addresses.

You can reach me via the private message area here ... which sends me an email notifying of the message.

I don't see too much spam on any account, let alone repeated messages. My servers take care of the majority of it. I'll log on to my server via http mail to clear the spam filters now and then.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the results I see.