peltier module

larryc

Joined Feb 21, 2015
I have a peltier module tec1-12706 that has it's specs as 12v 5.8a. I have measured the current using a 12v battery (18ah) and my meter reads 2.375A.

Anyone know why the current reads so low?

thanks

larryc

Joined Feb 21, 2015
Were you keeping the hot side cooled down so that it didn't turn to toast? How long were your leads?
The module was attached to a heat sink with thermal adhesive, hot side to the heat sink. I removed the heat sink from an old motherboard. It has a working fan and was on. The leads were the original leads that comes off of the peltier module.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hmmm... Unless we're missing a critical piece regarding your test, I'd say you have a faulty TEC.

But just to clarify, your TEC leads are a few inches long and, with a voltage of 12.3V at those leads (measured with a second meter), you saw <3A being drawn through the first meter, which is in series with your TEC? Can you check the voltage across the meter that is measuring the current, while the TEC is running?

larryc

Joined Feb 21, 2015
Hmmm... Unless we're missing a critical piece regarding your test, I'd say you have a faulty TEC.

But just to clarify, your TEC leads are a few inches long and, with a voltage of 12.3V at those leads (measured with a second meter), you saw <3A being drawn through the first meter, which is in series with your TEC? Can you check the voltage across the meter that is measuring the current, while the TEC is running?
The leads are only about 8 in long coming from the module. The voltage was measured at the same time as the current, yes in series. Another test was just done with the same result. I connected the module to a 12v 10a supply I know is good and same reading as before except the voltage on the supply was 12.1 as the current meter read 2.34a. I am wondering if the modules are mislabeled. I bought 4 of them and they all do the same thing.

I have the same issue and tried with 2 units [12720 and 12710]. I fed both of them with 15.4 Volt [Imax] and I got 11.3 Amp and 5.5 Amp current.
Wayney you connected 5Volt to a 12709 module.
The Imax of that module is 9Amp. I cannot derive what is Vmax.
So if we assume Vmax is 15 Volt then getting 4.5Amp at 5Volt means you will get 9A+ at higher volt.

Larryc, any update on your experiment? I cannot imagine all 4 of the units you bought are defect.