pcb transparent film printing

elea

Joined Dec 9, 2015
i want to buy printer for printing on transparent film inkjet vs laser ?
the low cost canon inkjet printer can work to print on transparent
or must the printer have special specification ?

the inkjet better than laser printer ?

i want very black film like this

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
You can buy film for both laser and ink jet printers. My inkjet printer does a better job than my laser printer. In the "Completed Projects" section there are two good threads on making printed circuit boards. Lots of information in them.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
i want to buy printer for printing on transparent film inkjet vs laser ?
the low cost canon inkjet printer can work to print on transparent
or must the printer have special specification ?
Without additional information, like how you're going to use them, better is somewhat subjective. Toner transfer or photographic?

Transparencies for inkjets have a texture on them to promote ink adhesion, but will also work in some laser printers. Laser transparencies are smooth and won't work well in inkjets.

I use transparencies for toner transfer and use inkjet transparencies in my laser printer. I have tried a half dozen different inkjet transparencies in different laser printers and got the darkest printing on CompUSA brand inkjet transparencies. They didn't work well for transfer, but would have been fine for photographic methods.

For toner transfer, print density isn't as important as you'd think. During the transfer process, the toner is melted and will fill some adjacent "voids". You can always touch up with an etch resistant ink before etching.

elea

Joined Dec 9, 2015
i will use photographic photosensitive pcb.
what is making dark black . inkjet printer or laser printer

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
i will use photographic photosensitive pcb.
what is making dark black . inkjet printer or laser printer
There are too many variables: transparency type/brand, printer type/brand, OEM/aftermarket ink/toner, printer driver, etc.

There is no substitute for you doing research and making test prints. In my case, I bought a half dozen different brands and types of inkjet transparencies and tried them in a number of laser and inkjet printers; I even tried wax printers. When I found a combination that worked well, I stopped experimenting and bought toner and transparencies in bulk.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
................ what is making dark black . inkjet printer or laser printer
Depends on the printer. I have a laser printer (HP1160Le) and it is very bad for PCB transparencies. I have a Brother MFC-5890 inkjet printer. The reviews said it does not print very dark but it far better than my laser printer.

I good way to make the image darker is to print two or three transparencies and overlay them.

Please read the PCB posts in the "Completed Projects" section. You probably will be more interested in the "photographic method" thread.