PCB Transmission Traces For RFID Coil Antenna

PIC-User

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Hi. I need to run about 6" of transmission PCB traces for a 13.56MHz RFID coil antenna. What is the best recommended way to run these PCB traces? Is it better to place the traces side by side, or is it better to place the traces one on each side of the PCB board?

Remember that this is for an RF, 13.56 MHz, application. Here, we have crosstalk, EM losses, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The wave length of 13Mhz is 72 feet. So, I would try to make a resonate coil on the PCB. The larger the area the more effective it will be. Any ground planes should be removed under the coil. If you can't make it resonate, then spread it out as best as you can.

Attachments

PIC-User

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Lestraveled, thanks for your help. But, my question isn't regarding the antenna itself. My question is regarding the 6" of transmission traces needed to reach the coil antenna. Do you have any recommendations on how to run these traces?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Lestraveled, thanks for your help. But, my question isn't regarding the antenna itself. My question is regarding the 6" of transmission traces needed to reach the coil antenna. Do you have any recommendations on how to run these traces?
Oh, sorry.
OK, because the frequency is so low the traces never get a chance to act like a transmission line. An RF line will not exhibit characteristics of a transmission line until is approaches a quarter wave length. In this case that distance is 18 feet. So, just run them close to one another. Spacing is not critical.