Pcb Etching

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I saw a video by Dave Jones on how commceral pcb are made .. I found the video pretty cool. But seemed interesting was that they tinned the traces they want to keep. Then etch the copper away and using the tinning as a solder mask .. Has anyone tried this method at home?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have a bottle of tinning solution, but I've never used it. Leaving the copper exposed hasn't caused any problems.

With the tinning solution, you make the board using your preferred method; then dip it in the solution.

BTW, tin isn't a good solder mask; you can solder to it quite easily.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I saw a video by Dave Jones on how commceral pcb are made .. I found the video pretty cool. But seemed interesting was that they tinned the traces they want to keep. Then etch the copper away and using the tinning as a solder mask .. Has anyone tried this method at home?

1) @Solder mask: I think you mean etch resist mask
2) They are using a negative photoresist and the tin is deposited by electroplating. That has to be done before etching, because after etching, it would be complicated to ensure electrical connections to each trace. Your tin plating is a conversion coating. It may not be as resistant to the etching solution you use. Are you using a negative or positive resist?

John