PCB Etching - Toner Transfer Method

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Hey guys,

In most variants of the toner transfer method, single-sided glossy paper acts as the medium onto which the toner is printed. However, in some versions, I've seen magazine paper used as well.

It would seem like all of the ink from paper would get transferred to the board, and not just the design.
Has anyone here successfully used the magazine paper method? Does it work well?

bighand

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Magazines are printed using a different kind of ink that doesn't come off when heated. I use magazine paper for etching and I've never had any problem with the ink coming off the pages.

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but specifically what kind of glossy paper works for you guys? I'm guessing inkjet paper wouldn't work?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A thread belongs to the OP (original poster). Trying to take over someone elses thread is called hijacking, which is not allowed at All About Circuits. I have therefore given you a thread of your very own.

The thread in question is quite recent.

This was split from
PCB Etching - Toner Transfer Method
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/pcb-etching-toner-transfer-method.105009/

To answer your question, magazine glossy print is very thick, and has clay in it as part of the mix. When feed through a laminator the print binds to the plastic toner, which has a tighter hold than the print to the paper. You will not I say print, not ink. It is a layer that can be removed.

I have done this technique and it works. But unless it is a womans magazine from a doctors/dentists office I have trouble destroying anything in print. A personal affectation.

The glossier and thicker the paper out of the magazine the better.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Pages out of magazines worked best for me, better than all the types of glosy paper that I tried. Much easier to remove. Easier for heat to penetrate the super thin sheet.