PCB design and simulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anders Hansson

Joined Mar 20, 2016
Hi,
When designing a circuit board there are many common questions like;
- How should I think when doing a proper grounding for my PCB?
- Will I run into signal integrity problems when I distribute the clock on the board?
- What is ground bounce?

/Anders

Mods edit:
Our site does not allowed any kinds of site promotion on thread, otherwise we will treat it as spam and delete the thread and mods team decided to close the thread.

If you wish to stay on this site then you can share your knowledge of pcbs designing to help our members.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
#1) Make your ground as low in impedance as you can. High impedance grounds are the cause of most PCB related problems.
#2) Quite possible. That's why differential signals are used to keep common mode interferers to a minimum. Good grounding also helps keep your clocks clean - see #1, above.
#3) Ground bounce is when ground potential in one area of your PCB is different from another, on an instantaneous basis. For instance, an amplifier will usually be the largest current consumer on the PCB. When the amp has a high excursion signal, the ground potential will rise and fall. When this rise and fall gets to the more sensitive parts of the PCB, a disruption of the signal integrity will occur due to this "ground bounce". A low impedance ground will mitigate this effect - see #1, above. Also, routing your grounds in a "star" pattern will keep a lot of the bounce out of your circuitry.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi,
When designing a circuit board there are many common questions like;
- How should I think when doing a proper grounding for my PCB?
- Will I run into signal integrity problems when I distribute the clock on the board?
- What is ground bounce?

In the electronics design blog on www.regal.16mb.com we currently discuss and present simulation results within PCB design.

Come and have a look. New posts weekly in the area of common challenges within electronics design.

/Anders
Why don't you bring your squad over here and start a thread or ask the Moderators to start a sub forum on PCb design.

Anders Hansson

Joined Mar 20, 2016
Why don't you bring your squad over here and start a thread or ask the Moderators to start a sub forum on PCb design.
You have a good point of course.
My primary interest is to create a blog for electronic designers that find my contribution to electronics valuable. My main focus is digital and analog audio designs, so many people comes from that kind of forums even if there are general interests as well.

/Anders

Anders Hansson

Joined Mar 20, 2016
#1) Make your ground as low in impedance as you can. High impedance grounds are the cause of most PCB related problems.
#2) Quite possible. That's why differential signals are used to keep common mode interferers to a minimum. Good grounding also helps keep your clocks clean - see #1, above.
#3) Ground bounce is when ground potential in one area of your PCB is different from another, on an instantaneous basis. For instance, an amplifier will usually be the largest current consumer on the PCB. When the amp has a high excursion signal, the ground potential will rise and fall. When this rise and fall gets to the more sensitive parts of the PCB, a disruption of the signal integrity will occur due to this "ground bounce". A low impedance ground will mitigate this effect - see #1, above. Also, routing your grounds in a "star" pattern will keep a lot of the bounce out of your circuitry.
Thanks for your comments!
On #2) I agree with you. Low impandance grounding is good the signal integrity in general. Any comments to my post regarding clock distribution?
On #3) Oh... maybe I should have pointed out that when I talked about ground bounce I refered to the change of voltage potential at the chip ground with respect to the ground of the PCB. I have actually not heard about using the term ground bounce at PCB level - I learned some today :)

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You already have your personal blog space on this site when you completed the registration, you just click on your id and you can post any ideas about pcbs over there.

When you discuss the pcb with members, if you have any related subject that you posted in your blog then you can post the links to the thread.

Anders Hansson

Joined Mar 20, 2016
You already have your personal blog space on this site when you completed the registration, you just click on your id and you can post any ideas about pcbs over there.

When you discuss the pcb with members, if you have any related subject that you posted in your blog then you can post the links to the thread.
Thanks for the info. I took a look into the personal blog section, but for some reason I don't have permissions to write any posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.